The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

2 tb drives opions

dseelig

I have to move to some 2 tb drives for backup Hitichi Western Digital or seagate. I am looking at the low price drives. Any experiences are helpful. thanks David

Leigh

I've been using Western Digital drives in preference to other brands since long before Seagate bought the company.

I currently have a 4TB unit made by WD that contains two 2TB drives. You can change the configuration as desired. I set it up as RAID1, which gives me a 2TB capacity fully mirrored on the two drives. If one fails the other still has all the information.

Note that this is not a security backup system, in that when you erase a file it is removed from both drives.

I've been using PCs since they were first introduced, so I do have some experience in this area.

Just one man's opinion. Worth every cent you paid for it. :D

- Leigh

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
It depends on the application, but I like WD Greens, WD Black RE's (RAID Edition) and Seagate SATA 2 and SATA 3 7200 drives.

I used to like WD-Black non-RE's, but be advised that WD added TRIM support to their non-RE drives. TRIM is a single drive data safety feature, but one that prevents them from being used in some RAID applications.

hot

I am using seven 1+1.5 TB Western Digital drives in two 4-bay-housings, connected with two eSATA cables to a $12-PCIe-eSATA card.

Also an extern 2TB Verbatim eSATA/USB2 drive (Samsung drive inside) - € 99.99. All works well, no troubles ever. Of course with eSATA faster than USB2. Necessary for transferring huge data files - or you get a long beard.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I am using WD Blacks non-raid edition in my macpro.
You don't need to be concerned about the differences between the raid and the non-raid version in a macpro striped array without the optional raid card.
In a stand-alone raid 5, there is value in the raid edition since the issue is the length of error retry in the non-raid versions might cause the drive to be declared non-responsive by the raid controller.
There is also some interesting measurements of vibration coupling in raid enclosures which can cause performance degradation in some drives since the head positioning tolerance is so tight the vibration coupling sometimes causes servo corrections and missing a rotation. The Hitachi drives in raid edition are specially compensated for this.

Full disclosure, I am associated with Hitachi, a drive and storage systems manufacturer, but note I bought the WD Blacks since they do the job and were cheaper at newegg.
-bob

Godfrey

I use mostly WD Green drives nowadays (have a bunch of Seagate 500Gs that have also been very good). I have 1T and 2T capacity models in the WD Green drives.

I use them in Other World Computing "Elite Pro" and Newer Technology "miniStack V3" enclosures. Both quad port enclosure types (eSATA, USB2, FW400, FW800). Also had a pair in the PowerMac G5.

They seem to work fine, at least I've never had any problems with them.