The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backing up to drobo S

dseelig

I have a mac pro with 4 drives . I want to back up to the drobo and not use or have time machine set up wo it will delte old info after a few months if I have already delted it. Possible or use another program? Thanks David

ustein

Contributing Editor
For Mac users:

I would avoid any RAID system (excecpt RAID 1) for backup. Here is why:

There are cases where the disk file system gets corrupted on Macs. In these cases Disk Warrior maybe able to recover the disk. But the RAID system puts another layer between OS and Disk so Disk Warrior may not be able to repair the disk system. I had a Drobo die this way. Better to use single disks (2TB) and have multiple backups.

dseelig

Okay I downloaded chrono sync and can only get it to have one hard drive to back up at a time I want all 4 automatically to be backed up carbon copy cloner could not do it as well. Or am I missing something.

ustein

Contributing Editor
You can create as many backup jobs as you like in Chronosync. Then schedule then at your convenience.

Don Libby

Okay this is coming from a PC user…

I’ve got 4 internal drives in my box, 1-for programs, 1-for scratch and the other 2 are a primary and secondary working drives. I also have 2-Drobos 1-I bought a year ago with 4-drives the other is the newer Drobo S. I set the backup in the dashboard to back up either specific files or drives to go to one or the other Drobos on either a daily or weekly basis; I’ve been doing this for several months and it appears to be working just fine.

Almost forgot, I have 1 non Drobo external drive that I use to make weekly backups of my business files using the same method and this works just fine as well.

Don