The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens Cleaning?

wolverine

Did a search and did not find anything. Do you use any type of liquid to clean a lens or just a lens cloth, blower and/or brush? I have lens with a film on the rear element that I can't get clean. Thanks

MMPhoto

Hi Wolverine,

For years now I have use my arsenal to clean my lenses. A 2" Kodak camel brush keep it in a plastic bag (small Ziplock) A can of compress air I use Dust-Off, Lenses Tissue (Kodak or Tiffen now) And a bottle of lenses cleaning solution (Kodak or Tiffen now) I keep the solution only for 2 years after I disgarde it. That to me is my arsenal.

Before going on assignment I brush my lenses with the Camel brush, shake it to make sure their is no grit or foreign matters. Check the lenses to make sure nothing is left on it. If there is compress air blast to make sure.

After the dusting only if their is a finger mark or film on the surface use the cleaning solution with a tissue, fold the tissue in 4 to 6 fold to make like a swab put one drop of solution on the tissue swab and start from the center of the lenses and work your way the the edge of the lenses in a light and circular motion using a light pressure. While the lenses surface is still most use a fresh tissue and again folded start from the center and in a circular motion work your way to the edge.

In all my years in Photography I have never damage any lenses surface this way, it takes practice to get the perfect result use good lighting to see the work you are doing. Just remember lenses solutions is a very potent materiel, only use in small quantity and only when needed. Don't bother to buy large bottles it goes bad after a few years.

I hope it helps you

Leigh

A note regarding compressed-air "dusters"...

Under some circumstances these can emit VERY cold air, cold enough to cause glass to crack.

If you choose to use one, let the can sit flat on a desk or table and move the object around in from of the nozzle without moving the can at all. Any shaking or movement of the can may cause propellant to mix with the gas coming out of the tube.

Do not under any circumstances use industrial compressed air like you would find at a gas station or similar. Even "dried" air will contain petroleum, water, and other contaminants that can damage lens coatings.

- Leigh

Last edited:

MMPhoto

Do agree Leigh,

The can compress air must be use carefully, in small burst and with out shaking the can. The other problem with these can is that they must be at room temp.

You can use a compressor to blow air on photo equipment. The real proper set-up is very costly and you must have a special tip for the air gun. As for a dry compressor is better, like the ones for airbrushing.

LJL

ROR... ( http://www.ror.net/ )...best stuff I have ever found. Just apply a few drops to a clean microfiber cloth, gently rub on lens surface, and buff off with another section of the clean microfiber. Removes any/all films and pollutants, but will not harm any lens coatings. Will improve the overall clarity. Only need to use once every so often, as the lens surface will pretty much repel dust and other dirt that is easily blown off.

No affiliation with company, but been using the stuff for over a decade and remain impressed. I even clean my computer monitors with it, and laptop screens.

LJ

MMPhoto

The ROR Looks very Impressive. Most be use with a non treated microfiber cloth, as they mention.

I think I will give it a try. I just wonder how long it can keep once open? Most other product I don't trust after being open for more then 2 years.

D&A

Leigh wrote: >>> "I thought fora were about sharing information globally, for the benefit of all.

Is your method somehow secret or proprietary?" <<<

Hi Leigh,

LOL, no, I don't have any monopoly on a proprietary technique for cleaning lenses...otherwise I'd make enough money to buy all the Lecia lenses one can desire. The original posting of the question (by the OP) was in a forum that by mistake seemed to be in the wrong place and I though that by the time it ws read, the thread mighjt have been moved or disappear. Since I didn't want to take a chance of the OP not receiving my posting and he seemed to need it fairly quickly...I decided to send him a PM...thats all.

In any case, can you cut me some slack as I'm always in your neck of the woods..but don't expect me to become a Terps fan....that would be asking too much of me :)

Dave (D&A)

Leigh

...but don't expect me to become a Terps fan....that would be asking too much of me
Hi Dave,

No problem. Just pulling your chain.

I'm not a terps fan either. There are some things even I won't do. :eek:

- Leigh

D&A

Not a Terps fan Leigh? Well then we have a lot in common, including techniques in lens cleaning. I must warn you though, lenses are the only kind of glass I clean...meaning I don't do dishes! :) (don't I wish)!

Dave (D&A)