The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photo Vests

ChrisDauer

Workshop Member
Some of us have heavier equipment and can't throw a couple of bodies, 6 lenses, spare batteries, extra mem-cards, pad of paper and pen into a satchel and carry it on, say, our left shoulder. *ahem* You know you who are.

For the rest of us, we look towards the Photo Vest to carry the various pieces of equipment we want with us.

What do you use?
What do you it for?
How do you like it?

Myself, I use a Domke Photo Vest.
I use it for my Canon eq (40D/5D), 85/1.2, CZ21/2.8, 24-70/2.8, filters, remotes, batteries, lens clothes, garbage bags, etc.
Other potential eq: 70-200/2.8 or 70-200/4.

My ideal vest would have all zippers (STORM ZIPPERS!); as I don't want metal parts scratching lenses or bodies. And I'm tired of stuff falling out of my top velcro pockets because I'm leaning over.

I'd love to hear what vests other people use! Guy, this means you! :) The vest you had at Yosemite looked very nice.

-C

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Adorama carries the Billingham vest but it is pricey. Domke makes one also.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes, mine is an older LL-Bean travel vest, quite similar to Guy's Zambezi...

C

Chris Herbert

I'm rather enamored of a product called the ScotteVest, although I can't say I've used it for photo stuff yet (my lenses have been at Leica). I took one on a trip to Italy because the carry-on weight limitation was such that I wanted to "wear" as much of my stuff as I could in case they weighted my bag.

They're actually designed more for electronic gadgetry, but have some very deep pockets, all nylon zippers (when there are zippers, as they also have pockets that close by magnets and with Velcro). The thing I like about them is that most of the pockets are on the inside so (1) they don't look too geeky, and (2) no one can see just how much you seem to be carrying. I own the Classic Vest 4.0, Travel Vest, Evolution Jacket, and a pair of the Hidden Cargo Pants. See, I told you I was enamored of the stuff!

Again, I've not used any of this for photo work yet, so will have to update this when I do.

www.scottevest.com

Chris Herbert

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
I've worn out one and am on my second Domke. Just love it. But they need to make a larger size or I need to lose some weight. :D