The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gear Craziness: Ipad, MB Air, etc

ocarlo

Hi folks,
I'm based overseas so I only have a couple weeks stateside to gear up.
I do portraits with a P45, RZ ProIID and Ranger lights.

As Doug Peterson has pointed out, we are looking at one to two years before a wireless straight-to-iPAD preview can be had...unless new things have come up?
Which would be really nice, as I find the P45 LCD to be useless for me. Also, I am often in rough or really poor areas, and the thought of having a Macbook on a stand - even if it gives me a iPAD preview thru a wireless App - is not very wise an option.

I wonder if anyone could weigh in on the options I've come across for the next best thing:

1. If DSLR shooters can use a Eye-fi SD card to have instant preview while writing straight to the same card, why can't I use the same Eye-fi on a CF-SD adapter and achieve the same with a P45? Pardon me if I'm missing something really obvious. Eve with a battery-powered router, that'd still be less gear than a laptop, hood and stand.

2. The MB Air has no FW ports so that's out. The netbook way seems to work but they're now close to the price of an iPAD ($999) - and I'd rather get the iPAD for media consumption reasons, self-education, portfolio, etc...
Is there a refurbished Mac laptop option? still have to more research..

But then, I already own a loaded 17" MacBook Pro, so it seems kinda silly to blow big bucks on yet another laptop, albeit smaller by a few inches.
sigh.

3. The iPAD Hyperdrive - shoot a bit, pull the CF card, back up to the Hyperdrive, select a few shots, transfer to the iPAD and check focus and lighting...
Has anyone used the Hyperdrive? Is the LCD good enough to zoom in and check focus on a RAW file?

All thoughts appreciated. I'll probably end up chilling, enjoy my iPAD for its own merits, and just accept that present-day tech isn't there yet - and focus on the joy of what's in front of me.
many thanks.