The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mac Book Air

KeithL

I'm using a 15" MBP with 512MB video memory, 8Gb memory and a 7200RPM disk. It's ok for me when travelling but I don't shoot tethered so can't speak to that. I do get to spend time watching the little wheel spin as I move around an image at 100%. So I guess that your mustard variety would be a deciding factor. Do you have a friendly Mac shop handy?
Tethering isn't an issue for me either.

Thanks, I guess for Phocus a 15" MBP is about as small and light as it gets while retaining an acceptable level of performance.

jonoslack

Perhaps I missed the confirmation that the Mac Book Air can cut the mustard when using Phocus?
Ahhh . . . maybe I missed the confirmation that it couldn't!:ROTFL:

As far as I can see looking at this thread, nobody here has even tried it. which is hardly a write off.
Our 13" MBA is certainly faster with Aperture than our (admittedly nearly 2 year old) 15"MBP with a 7200 drive and 4Gb RAM, no question.
We were actually considering whether to replace this 15"MBP, and decided that the only way of getting noticeably better performance was to get one of the newer i5 models, and then putting in 8Gb RAM and an SSD (as we have with our 17"MBPs) - but that'll cost you nearly twice the price of the 13", and it'll weigh about twice as much as well.

Although the 256 video memory may be the killer for phocus?

If you actually want something small, then I think you should try it out before dismissing it. Don't you?

Last edited:
I can speak from personal experience that Capture One and Aperture scale nearly linearly across multiple cores ... So an 8 core mac will go nearly 2 times faster than a 4 core iMac or 4 times faster than a 2-core MacBookPro.
Such a shame that Lightroom and Photoshop won't.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Not travellin' much, are you? :) I am doing transatlantic/transpacific hops every couple months, sometime more often, and do domestic flying/driving a lot. Air is fairly good replacement for most of stuff in the field, when you dont need tethering, and need to get results out fast, and trying to reduce some weight.
SergeiR

Yes , right , I am not travelling much .
I use a MAC BOOK PRO 15" and am convinced that this LAPTOP is much better equipped regarding GC , BATTERY , RAM and SYSTEMDISK , FW than the Airbook .
Mine has a NVIDIA Geforce 9400M GC and PHOCUS runs fine with it .