The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New iMac recommendations?

kevin

I'm planning on replacing my old iMac with a new one. I'm leaning towards the 27" iMac, both for the screen space and the Quad-Core i5 Processor. My most taxing uses of the computer will be Photoshop and video editing with Final Cut Express (which I'm dying to try out!) Considering my intended usage, and also that hardware upgrades are impossible (?) after purchase, I'm wondering if I'd see a worthwhile benefit from the i7 processor and/or a dual-drive set up with an SSD? Also, I maxed out my current iMac on RAM from Crucial when I bought it; is aftermarket RAM still the way to go? Thanks in advance for any tips! :salute:

kevin

Hell with the iMac. :D

I just ordered a 2.66GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro and a 22" NEC monitor from B&H for $500 less than the iMac I was considering. $750 for the 2nd drive for the iMac nixed it for me.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Smart move. I *almost* reco'd a Mac Pro, but it sounded like you were sold on the iMac...

kevin

Smart move. I *almost* reco'd a Mac Pro, but it sounded like you were sold on the iMac...
Feel free to step in and squash a bad idea any time. :D

I had the notion in my head that the Mac Pro was way too much computer for me, but the lower-spec ones are affordable, and being able to pick the monitor you want, the drives you want, and to be able to do it yourself finally pushed me that direction.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Plus that quad-core 2.66 will smoke an i5 8 days a week. You can keep your video card current, add other interface boards, add SSD's later and easily RAID-0 inner drives for Final Cut file read and write speed boost. 2TB 7200 Hitachi drives are under $150 now. See OWC for lots of good Mac mod gear.