The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RRS BH-30 or Markins Q3T

cjlacz

I hope everyone is having a great Christmas.

I wanted to get some thoughts on a new head for my GT1550T. I know the Markins is a rather popular combo, but it's base and weight seem a little high for this combo. Has anyone tried the BH-30 and what did you think of it? Would I be making a mistake choosing it over the Q3T, or is there another head you'd recommend instead?

Thanks,
Charles

cjlacz

Stephen,

Thanks for your thoughts. I completely missed the shots of it mounted on the tripod. It's a slightly different model, but close enough. I'm not wild about the bulge on the side, still I think this is the one. Everyone loves their RRS gear.

I was reading the tripod thread in the MF forum and it just reminded me I should keep this setup fairly light and compact. If I need anything more robust I'll need both a new head and legs. Just need to wait until after Christmas to make sure I didn't get anything.

cjlacz

Thanks. I took a look at Photoclam but the base size was rather small and since I'm only in the US for a couple weeks I decided to buy something that I was a little more sure of. I couldn't find many reviews of Photoclam.

Ended up with a RSS BH-30 and a number of plates for different cameras. Decided to go with the smaller base size which is a better fit for my tripod I think although I'm wondering about the bulge in back. Less hassle with the clamp too. Looking forward to having it delivered in a couple days.