The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Attaching a head to a column-less Gitzo?

Frank Petronio

Not Available
So my friend gives me this wee Gitzo but it is lacking the 0-series column. Any suggestions for attaching a head without the column?

Also what would be a good cheap ballhead for 0-series Gitzo? Standard 1/4-20, none of this Arca plate BS please.

Leigh

As an alternative to the obvious (buying the column from Gitzo)...

Buy a piece of precision round stock of appropriate diameter and length, drill and tap a 1/4"-20 hole in one end, then install a stud held in place with Loktite.

Round stock is available in a wide variety of materials and sizes from McMaster-Carr at www.mcmaster.com
Start by specifying the desired material in the search box, then drill down. Select the "precision ground" finish as one of your first options.

- Leigh

stephengilbert

You might need a washer top and bottom to hold the drilled stock in the tripod. Does the tripod have a way to lock the center column in place?

I'd look at McMaster-Carr as well. They have an amazing selection of stuff, and ship the day you place your order.

Frank Petronio

Not Available
Thanks, I think I need an odd 24mm diameter though, not a standard size they stock. Obviously on a freebie like this I don't want to invest any real money, I'm looking for a $20 solution ;-)

Leigh

Stephen is right.

I omitted some obviously necessary steps, such as a way to lock the column in position, and addition of retaining washers on the ends.

If you put a washer on the camera end of the column, you'll need to use one that's tapped 1/4"-20 since there's no nut to hold it in place.

On the other end you can use a regular bolt. I have a wide assortment of hardware (imperial, not metric). I'll send any small items you might need.

- Leigh

Leigh

Hi Frank,

We doubled.

Size isn't a problem. It would be easy to turn down 1" stock to 24mm. That's only ~0.055" off the diameter.

How long do you want it?

Does the tripod have a locking mechanism for the column? If so, how does it work?

- Leigh

stephengilbert

How about a long 1/4 - 20 bolt and a large flat washer? The bolt head and washer at the bottom, the tripod head acting as a nut at the top.

Is that cheap enough?

Leigh

Cheap enough but perhaps not strong enough.

And you need some way to hold the bolt centered in the tripod.

- Leigh

stephengilbert

"And you need some way to hold the bolt centered in the tripod."

A smaller washer or washers that fit inside the tripod?

Frank Petronio

Not Available
Yes actually that could work really well since it is only a tube. If I got a bolt just an inch longer than the center tube I could stack nuts and washers to tight two larger washers on each end... leaving a stud for the head. A 3/8-16 x 7" bolt would do it. If I scuff up the top washer all the better.

I think I found a slew of $25 ballheads on eBay, unless someone has a cheap old tiny Gitzo ballhead just to be consistent....