The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Laser distance finder

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For some things i will not need it but for others it would be really handy like interiors and stuff like that. The real issue is does the focusing numbers line up exactly with the laser distance. More than anything you can do some real test like this to see if 3ft is truly 3ft

PeterA

Hi TEB - I play at The National which has three Championship style courses - off 4 because I just cant practice enough...our Club courses were mapped the way you were talking about only a year ago - (a couple of them actually feature in the Tiger Woods game..) so yes there is better available now via sky caddy etc..however I was walking/pacing out holes years ago ..LOL..just wanted to see if laser was accurate enough to use in play..it wasn't ..

PeterA

Well Guy - you just asked the same question I was asking you - do you think that the 3' will align up with the 3'scale 'indicator' on your lens - will it line up same way on all lenses..see what I mean? Anyway ..it is all just practise - you have a MF back on to check here is a tip that might work for you

Quickly caibrate your own scale feel by marking out set measured distances with markers and try the lens scale and see what happens to focus..you can get a few kids to stand in a line if you liek after you have paced out gaps between them all..etc

robsteve

Subscriber
Before giving up on the Voitlander 15mm, I took some time figuring out where the 2m mark was in regards to an object really 2m away. It proved that even with a 15mm, if the focus wasn't spot on, the image was not as sharp. I can't remember where the 2m lined up best, but sharp was the difference of moving the focus less then the width of the 2 on the focus scale.

In other works, if you are shooting interiors, such as you plane shots, you are going to need a ground glass for critical focus.

Robert

John Grow

Guy - I bought a very nice laser range finder from Sears. When I got it home I found out it is made by LEICA!

fotografz

Okay some folks have some camera's that need to guesstimate about distance . The Horseman, Cambo's and Alpa do not have a way to focus except for replacing the back with a ground glass which is fine but slow. So i would think what we are looking for is something small, cheap and works at distances at 2 ft to about 50 ft than infinity settings takeover . This could also be handy for M8 shooters as well to test lenses and such. So what is out there that would work really well but I would like to see one under 200 dollars and really small like shirt pocket small.
This is what has put me off a portable technical camera. I had a Hasselblad SWC and learned that I was horrible at guessing distances.:ROTFL:

Having to use a ground glass defeats the purpose I have in mind for an ALPA ... but I'll probably get one anyway ... eventually. Some sort of rangefinder gizmo would be most helpful.

stephengilbert

"How does that work Stephen?
Does it sit in a hot shoe? How do you calculate distance?"

I assume it has the same parts as the rangefinder in a Leica M camera: you look through it and see a split image; turn the knob until the image lines up, and read the distance on the dial. Mine reads in meters, but they made them in feet as well. It can be mounted on a hot shoe/adapter, but I find it easier to use off the camera.

woodyspedden

"How does that work Stephen?
Does it sit in a hot shoe? How do you calculate distance?"

I assume it has the same parts as the rangefinder in a Leica M camera: you look through it and see a split image; turn the knob until the image lines up, and read the distance on the dial. Mine reads in meters, but they made them in feet as well. It can be mounted on a hot shoe/adapter, but I find it easier to use off the camera.
Hi Stephen

I have one of these and yes it is essentially a rangefinder with markings so that you get distance once you have aligned the images. It seems to work very well but before I relied heavily on it i would want to do some more serious experimentation. I will do so on behalf of the forum members.

Woody

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Guy,

FatMax from Stanley at OSH. Leica Geosystems Technology in a finder from about 1 foot to 100 feet. I paid $99 and it seems to be dead on accurate.

Now you will need to look at Alpa's FAQ on shimming the back to match exact focus. I believe that after about 6 feet at f11 you will be in the hyperfocal distance for a 47.

Just measured 6' 8" 7/8 with the thing...dead on scary.

BTW your private message que is full.

Bob

neelin

the way the hilti works is you put the back of the device against your zero and aim the spot at the target. once on target, push a button, wait a sec or two, it beeps and reads out the distance to the 1/32", up to at least 100ft (longest i have tried) you have to hold it steady and you have to be able to see the spot on the target. a very handy gizmo. it is a bit limited in bright light or if you let it wiggle
I've used the Hilti's extensively in construction & second John's comments. For photography the weakest link will be measuring distance in bright ambient light. If it does that for you, it will do anything else a photographer will throw at it.

Robert