The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

P-IPS

fotoism

It would be interesting to find out. Hope it does not have the tinting and anti-glare problems so many other similar IPS monitors have.

engel001

Well, I was curious enough and also in the market so I have ordered one. After some additional research, I find the specs and P-IPS designation identical to the LaCie 324i which sells for $1139 at B&H. P-IPS is the newest (2010) of the in-plane switching technologies which I understand improve viewing characteristics at an angle. Other well-known monitors have the H-IPS designation dating from 2007.

Horizontal IPS H-IPS 2007 Improves contrast ratio by twisting electrode plane layout. Also introduces an optional Advanced True White polarizing film from NEC, to make white look more natural. This is used in professional/photography LCDs.
Enhanced IPS E-IPS 2009 Wider aperture for light transmission, enabling the use of lower-power, cheaper backlights. Improves diagonal viewing angle and further reduce response time to 5ms.
Professional IPS P-IPS 2010 Offer 1.07 billion colours (30-bit colour depth). More possible orientations per sub-pixel (1024 as opposed to 256) and produces a better true colour depth.

Incidentally, the Apple iPad has an IPS display.

Last edited:

engel001

Paul, I have had this monitor for a few weeks now and couldn't be happier. It is far better than my previous Samsung consumer-level computer monitor. I don't think I am in a position to critique it adequately for the experts on this forum, however. I see absolutely no problems with glare. Performance when viewing from an angle is what I would expect from an IPS monitor and the colors are excellent. Working with Capture One and CS5 is a real pleasure now, also thanks to my new Sandybridge i7-2600 computer with 16GB RAM. I incidentally am running the video directly from the motherboard without a dedicated video card.

fotoism

......I incidentally am running the video directly from the motherboard without a dedicated video card.
Have you tried calibrating your new monitor with hardware (Spyder, i1 Display...etc)? I am curious to know if on-board video chips can be calibrated with same or similar results as compared to dedicated graphic cards.

engel001

Phil, I used the i1Match software with i1Display 2 and am very pleased with the results. Now I am uncertain about the proper color management workflow and settings. Previously, I simply worked in sRGB space since my monitor could only display the limited gamut.

My current cameras include a Nikon D3 and Canon 5dII both of which have two options, sRGB and AdobeRGB. I could change these to the latter. However, does this setting only affect the JPEGS straight out of camera - which isn't really that useful as these JPEGS would be intended for quick viewing and uploading to SmugMug, for example?

My third camera system is the P65+ back (on Contax 645). I don't see an option to change color space there, so I assume that gets assigned when opening in C1 or CS5.

fotoism

engel001:

Since the SandyBridge CPUs have integrated graphics, when used with a motherboard with on-board video chip, I figured I can skip a dedicated graphics card, which is more useful to video editing than photo editing. It's good to know I can calibrate the monitor as usual. The LUT might just be in the on-board chip then.

BTW, do you mind telling me what motherboard you are using? I just built one with Asus P8H67-M EVO and Ci5 2500k. The H67 chip had problems with the SATA II connections and a replacement board from Asus is coming.

engel001

Phil, I built my system with the GIGABYTE GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 board. Actually, I built two. One with i7-2600, another with i5-2500 (both non K) and G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666). The cases are goodlooking and very quiet (i.e. silent) Antec SONATA IV. My software just rips, batch processing large RAW files from the P65+ and multi-gigabyte panoramas is a breeze. A replacement board is on its way from Newegg (where I also got the monitor). - Christopher

Last edited:

fotoism

Christopher:
Your system is much more powerful than mine, but then again I am not a professional and what I have now is much improvement from my previous rig: Can you imagine doing post on 2699 DNG files from a month long trip using C1 (for the first time) on a single core Pentium 4 machine with 1.5 GB of RAM? I finally pulled it off but those are all but painful memories now.

engel001

I am also not a professional. The new Intel generation is a significant upgrade for me too and was definitely worth waiting for.

S

Shelby Lewis

Phil, I built my system with the GIGABYTE GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel H67 board. Actually, I built two. One with i7-2600, another with i5-2500 (both non K) and G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666). The cases are goodlooking and very quiet (i.e. silent) Antec SONATA IV. My software just rips, batch processing large RAW files from the P65+ and multi-gigabyte panoramas is a breeze. A replacement board is on its way from Newegg (where I also got the monitor). - Christopher
How much does a setup like this cost if you build it yourself? I'm a mac user, but could be tempted to set up a machine alongside my mac stuff just for batching and processing big files if the cost were good enough...

engel001

Shelby: Around $1000 to $1200. This is about as good as it gets for a state of the art machine without the need for a dedicated video card, since this is built into the newer processors.

$300 i7-2600 ($210 for i5-2500, also very good)
$140 GIGABYTE GA-H67A-UD3H motherboard
$160 Antec SONATA IV includes power supply
$200 G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB
$200 or less OCZ Vertex 2 120GB solid state drive
$75 each SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB hard drive
$50+ for keyboard, mouse, DVD burner
Windows 7 64bit

- Christopher