The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Are some polarizers stronger than others?

spotmeter

I wonder if some polarizers are stronger in their effect than others?

Has anyone done any head-to-head comparisons on

1. Reducing glare from foliage

2. Darkening blue skies

I vaguely remember seeing a comparison like this years ago, but am unable to find it now.

engel001

You may be interested in this test. In keeping with my Zeiss lenses for Contax, I have elected to use new Sony Zeiss T* coated filters, thinking consistency throughout the optical system should be beneficial. Any user experience with these? - Christopher

spotmeter

You may be interested in this test. In keeping with my Zeiss lenses for Contax, I have elected to use new Sony Zeiss T* coated filters, thinking consistency throughout the optical system should be beneficial. Any user experience with these? - Christopher
This is the test I saw years ago, thanks.

But I don't see that it answers my questions:

Are there some polarizers that do a better job of eliminating reflections on foliage and increasing blue in the the sky (at 90 degrees to the sun, of course)?

garybrook

I Lens-Tip review was updated during the last couple of years, and it was useful to me, but an older yet carefully tested review was written within (Canadian) Photo Life Magazine. I have an old copy in my garage if you can't find the copy, and I will try to get the relevant issues to you. Regards,

Gary.

spotmeter

I Lens-Tip review was updated during the last couple of years, and it was useful to me, but an older yet carefully tested review was written within (Canadian) Photo Life Magazine. I have an old copy in my garage if you can't find the copy, and I will try to get the relevant issues to you. Regards,

Gary.
Thank you for this lead. I read the review and it was very informative.

Unfortunately, it was confined to circular polarizers.

I wonder if linear polarizers are any better at extinguishing reflections from leaves, and if any one has reviewed their performance as well?