The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Sandy Bridge Equipped MacBook Pro Laptops Released

Title says it all. Well almost, there is the new Lightning Bolt I/O port also. There should be big performance improvement with the new i7.

You can check the typical review sites or Apple

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, Jack are your orders in yet? LOL Who will be the first to report on these beauties. David
My existing MBP is just over a year old. I usually try and run them at least 2 or even 3 before upgrading, so I'm a ways off. Guy always is the first to move on anything new that promises to be faster, so suspect he'll have one of the first. A year from now we'll have 4x2.66 or 4x2.8 i7's that will be even faster, and by then the whole thunderbolt I/O will be more common-place...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
well I am not you turkey with a Macpro sitting next to ya. I'm just a very lonely laptop user :D
Your damn right I want the fastest boat on the water. :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

3k with tax

$2,799.00
6 or 12 month special financing options
Ships: 1-3 business days
Free Shipping

Specifications
2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

I would rip out the optical and drop my 2 OWC Raid 0 SSD Drives in. Now that may just give it some wings

jonoslack

3k with tax

$2,799.00
6 or 12 month special financing options
Ships: 1-3 business days
Free Shipping

Specifications
2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Antiglare Widescreen Display
Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

Hi Guy
What's wrong with the 512Gb SSD? It's a snip :ROTFL:

I did a little price excercise in the UK:

sounds like about $5400

Not this month I'm afraid :loco:

Guy Mancuso

Well I already have 2 200gb SSD drives from OWC extreme Pros so I won't need anything like that from Apple. So the basic drive is fine

My poor Macbook Pro is over 3 1/2 years old so I am past due for an update. The bad thing is my desktop computer is considerably older and can't handle S2 files. I had planned to update the desktop computer as soon as the Sandy Bridge chipset issue is resolved. Now I am rethinking my approach to do the new Macbook Pro and not bother with the desktop. I've got a little while to think about it since all my funds are allocated to new Leica S 35mm and 180mm lenses.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Anyone know if these new MBP use SATA 3 with 6GB/s vs. the current 3GB/s? The new crop of SSDs based on the SandForce 2500 controller like the Vertex 3 Pro are much faster than current SATA buses can support. Instead of Thunderbolt, I'd rather have an internal SSD that can read/write 500MB/s.

And what happened to the 1680x1050 15"? Seems the 15" only comes with 1440x900. I have the hi-res anti-glare and the extra resolution makes a big difference.

David

Guy Mancuso

Ordered:D

I'm a sick puppy

PROCESSOR 065-0097 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7

MEMORY 065-0094 8GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB

HARD DRIVE 065-0549 500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200

OPTICAL DRIVE 065-0102 8x Double-Layer SuperDrive

DISPLAY 065-0105 MBP 15"HR Antiglare WS Display

I will rip the optical drive out and replace with my 2 existing OWC extreme 200gb drives running in Raid 0 and than sell my current unit here on the forum. 15 inch anti galre 8gb of ram I7 core with a 500gb 7200 drive. Still has warranty until April 19th if anyones is interested let me know. Going at a very fair price

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Anyone know if these new MBP use SATA 3 with 6GB/s vs. the current 3GB/s? The new crop of SSDs based on the SandForce 2500 controller like the Vertex 3 Pro are much faster than current SATA buses can support. Instead of Thunderbolt, I'd rather have an internal SSD that can read/write 500MB/s.
It appears they are 6gb, so I assume a device as you mentioned would be supported. Here's the spec from system profiler on my new one that arrived today

Intel 6 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
Product: 6 Series Chipset
Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 3 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.30 Supp

I assume the negotiated link speed is because my internal drive is a 3gb sata drive.

I bought the 15" quad core i7/2.3ghz with 8 gigs of ram, 7200 500 gig internal drive HiRes screen (glossy ... my personal preference). This was an upgrade from the top of the line i7 dual core.

A couple of surprises, though it definitely runs faster, it also seems to run cooler. (my acid test on that is loading up a tough video game for an hour or so ... definitely cooler, and fan running slower, even though game FPS was faster).

Battery life for things like web browsing etc, looks to be maybe as long as 7 hours, based on that it looks like about a 10-15% increase over the previous one.

I'll get a better feel for Photoshop, LR, and C1 tomorrow when I put it through some tests, but I'd be surprised not to see a noticeable improvement. Photoshop actually scales pretty good up to 4 cores then falls off pretty fast, so the two extra cores should help despite the slower clock speed.

Hopefully Thunderbolt aka LightPeak shows up in cameras (how sweet would it be in a Phase IQ180 back?) and external hard drives soon. The specs on this small port are amazing (10gbs dual channel) and apparently Intel thinks it will eventually be 10 times faster than it is now. I know one video camera maker that has already announced plans for it, hopefully Apple will let some vendors start using it now despite the one year exclusive for designing the actual connector - kind of pointless if they don't. I'm guessing firewire and USB may be headed to the museum in a few years to join floppy disks and dial up modems.

cam

I'll get a better feel for Photoshop, LR, and C1 tomorrow when I put it through some tests, but I'd be surprised not to see a noticeable improvement. Photoshop actually scales pretty good up to 4 cores then falls off pretty fast, so the two extra cores should help despite the slower clock speed.
i look forward to your updates, Wayne (and anybody else's)!

i am working on a 5 year old 17" maxed with 2gig RAM so anything will be an improvement :eek:

after drowning my new MBA, i decided to wait and get one of these new ones... i'm leaning towards a new 15" but a little confused about the hi-res screen. whilst i would love seeing more whilst working on images, i'm not sure how pleasant it will be for email and internet...

unfortunately because it costs so much more here, i think it also means i will be working without an external monitor for quite a while -- which means i should consider the hi-res, non? or maybe even the 17", sigh...

David
No, not really. This was discussed heavily on the macrumors forum. Real world testing seems to show that it is limited to 3Gb/s even though it is SATA 3, however it seems to be a software/firmware issue. In theory your should be able to get 6Gb/s from the main drive (SATA port 0) and probably 3Gb/s from the optical drive bay (SATA port 1). SATA plugs 2-5 are disabled. There is also some speculation that the early machines are using the defective SATA controllers, but that they are not an issue since the MBP doesn't use ports 2-5.

The thread is at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1102430 but there are a lot of rat holes to wade through.