The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gorillapod SLR-Zoom good for my set-up?

C

canonikon

i have a 5d mark ii and a 24-105mm lens or soemtimes a ef canon 70-300mm lens

is the slr-zoom good enough for me to support the weight? or should i get the focus?

the slr-zoom use to cost $25 now its $50...

Millsart

I've got the generic Ebay version of the zoom, about $12 and it works well, though you'll want to add a ballhead.

I bought and tried the Focus and its sturdier but really doesn't work better and it cost so much. Its not a bad product but I don't think I'd ever get $100 use out of it

the slr-zoom I've honestly only used for a couple low angle shots and its great for setting on a rock etc (don't trust it wrapped around a branch etc) and its well worth $12, even for the few times I used it.

I think of it as a ground pod though, and in that roll it will support your rig just fine

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I have the slr-zoom and find that the D300 plus standard zoom is on the heavy side for that model. Great with the GH1 though, both because of the weight and because of the articulated LCD.

Millsart

I have the slr-zoom and find that the D300 plus standard zoom is on the heavy side for that model. Great with the GH1 though, both because of the weight and because of the articulated LCD.
I agree that is pushing it but it really depends how your using it. If its an adjustable low level tripod then it can take the weight pretty well. no way I'd wrap it around a post or something with that much weight though.

For getting the camera a few inches off the ground but keeping it out of the mud those flexible tripods are great tools and do stuff my normal tripods can't