The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DROBO Storage device

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Just a FWIW update, there is a new firmware and software update posted for the version 2 (FW800) unit: a new firmware, 1.2.1, and a new Drobo Dashboard software, also ver 1.2.1 (IMO this is an unfortunate naming convention, as the dashboard software is certainly distinct form the box firmware, yet they share similar version naming conventions...)

D

ddk

DROBO Buyer Beware!!!!

:mad: :angry: :cussing: :thumbdown:

I have a couple of the original USB Drobos and today I found out that one has to pay an annual fee for continued access to software and firmware updates! I own several RAIDs from LaCie, Apple and a couple of other manufacturers but never heard of paying for software or firmware updates, which could be necessary with the release of a new version of your computer's OS. So in effect if you don't opt to pay this annual fee, PER DROBO!, your unit/units could turn into bookends with your next computer purchase or OS update and you could lose access to all your data!

This is from their website:

"Why is Data Robotics charging for extended software upgrades?
Due to strict accounting rules that govern a hardware manufacturer’s ability to provide feature or functionality enhancements, it is not possible to offer free software feature enhancements beyond the initial warranty period."

Don't understand why when all the other hardware manufacturers that I know of have free software/firmware upgrades, as long as they're available, for many years after the initial purchase date. This includes all my cameras, computers, audio/video equipment, phones, etc., etc., etc., basically every upgradable piece of hardware that I currently own; besides DROBO.

Check it out, support is charged at a very high price, over 10% of the cost of the unit per annum:

http://www.drobo.com/buydrobocare/?serial=TDF072604820;:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
David:

Do your older units still work with the last firmware and software available?

David K

Workshop Member
Just a FWIW update, there is a new firmware and software update posted for the version 2 (FW800) unit: a new firmware, 1.2.1, and a new Drobo Dashboard software, also ver 1.2.1 (IMO this is an unfortunate naming convention, as the dashboard software is certainly distinct form the box firmware, yet they share similar version naming conventions...)
Jack, maybe I'm missing it but the only downloads I see on the Drobo site are for the 1st generation USB 2.0 units (right side of linked page) ...

http://www.drobo.com/Support/Index.html

D

ddk

David:

Do your older units still work with the last firmware and software available?
Yes, and I still have 60 days left on the two units before the end of the support period. I even have a drobo share which had quite a few bugs when I first got it. So far so good but who knows what's down the road. I was actually going to buy a couple more drobo units to back up the RAIDs but I'm not going to that anymore, otherwise I have to spend $200 a year in support and that's without any additional units that I would need in a year or two. I'll continue buying RAID towers in pairs like I've been doing for the past years. I wish I would have known about their policy before I bought the other units.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Uhm, here's what they say:

Why is Data Robotics charging for extended software upgrades?
Due to strict accounting rules that govern a hardware manufacturer’s ability to provide feature or functionality enhancements, it is not possible to offer free software feature enhancements beyond the initial warranty period.

All critical bug fixes WILL be offered as they become available, but non-standard feature enhancements can only be downloaded in association with a licensed DroboCare warranty extension package.

Do I have to pay for bug fixes?
Absolutely not! Critical bug fixes will be offered as they become available just as they always have been.
So I wouldn't worry about bugs.

Unlike Colorbyte, who charge you $1500 for software you get zero support for without a maintenance contract. And which breaks frequently with OS X updates. Without a maintenance contract you get absolutely squat from them; they'll bluntly tell you to go stuff yourself.

D

ddk

Uhm, here's what they say:

So I wouldn't worry about bugs.

Unlike Colorbyte, who charge you $1500 for software you get zero support for without a maintenance contract. And which breaks frequently with OS X updates. Without a maintenance contract you get absolutely squat from them; they'll bluntly tell you to go stuff yourself.
Service contracts are standard practice in the software world, particularly with specialized ones, we're talking about hardware here, Drobo is the first manufacturer I encountered that is asking for it. And what is a critical bug fix? Is it something that was in the original firmware or is it one that affects the functionality of the unit due to an OS update down the road? I don't like this one bit.

Terry

Another example of this in action is the iPhone and iPod touch. For big upgrades (there have been 2) like the upgrade to version 2 of the software, iPhone users who pay a monthly contract got it free. iPod touch users who bought the hardware have to pay for the upgrade. Incidental bug fixes have been free for both.

D

ddk

Another example of this in action is the iPhone and iPod touch. For big upgrades (there have been 2) like the upgrade to version 2 of the software, iPhone users who pay a monthly contract got it free. iPod touch users who bought the hardware have to pay for the upgrade. Incidental bug fixes have been free for both.
Hi Terry,

Which monthly fee did you pay for your first iPhone to Apple? I don't see them demand any monthly fees for the new one either. Version 2.0 software is available to all iPhone users. The only thing that I paid for over the past year was the standard AT&T calling plan, the same as I did for all my previous phones.

Counterpoint, Ricoh came out with a huge firmware upgrade for the GRD when they introduced the GRD II, I didn't see them charging anyone for it. Take a look at other RAID manufacturers show me one who charges for software/firmware enhancements, even for those who bought their units used off ebay.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Which monthly fee did you pay for your first iPhone to Apple? I don't see them demand any monthly fees for the new one either. Version 2.0 software is available to all iPhone users. The only thing that I paid for over the past year was the standard AT&T calling plan, the same as I did for all my previous phones.

Counterpoint, Ricoh came out with a huge firmware upgrade for the GRD when they introduced the GRD II, I didn't see them charging anyone for it. Take a look at other RAID manufacturers show me one who charges for software/firmware enhancements, even for those who bought their units used off ebay.
I didn't pay anything to Apple after the cost of the phone but they got a portion of the revenue from your monthly plan with AT&T and accounting rules dictated that revenues are deferred over 24 months. Some parts of that arrangement changed in the 3Gaunch with carrier subsidies but AT&T is still paying Apple (the difference between full price and the $199). all software upgrades have been free. Now the iPod touch is acounted for differently and when Apple Made enhancements last year (to allow the user to customize the screen) and this year with 2.0 iPod touch users had to pay to upgrade the software.

Now I'm posting this from my iPhone so I can't give you any links to more info. Don't forget Ricoh doesn't sell cameras in the US and may not deal with some of the same accounting or doesn't look at some of the firmware as upgrades but fixes to "flaws".

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Yes, and I still have 60 days left on the two units before the end of the support period. I even have a drobo share which had quite a few bugs when I first got it. So far so good but who knows what's down the road. I was actually going to buy a couple more drobo units to back up the RAIDs but I'm not going to that anymore, otherwise I have to spend $200 a year in support and that's without any additional units that I would need in a year or two. I'll continue buying RAID towers in pairs like I've been doing for the past years. I wish I would have known about their policy before I bought the other units.
My point is your units are working properly now, are they not? So what "bugs" are you worried about?

Cheers,

David K

Workshop Member
David:

You update through the Drobo Dashboard software. Launch that, go to advanced, open the "tools" tab and you'll see the "Check for Updates" button. :)
Thanks for this Jack, I didn't know it was there. Guess my Drobo shipped with the latest version installed.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Got mine set up now - works great. The drives were a good choice I think; I get almost exactly 50MB/s over FW800 with even my old PB G4. Yet during normal operation (not copying disk to disk) they run cool enough that the Drobo fan is off. The drives are quiet enough that the room is perfectly quiet and all I hear is the ticking of the drive heads. I noticed this after I was done with all the copying and powered off the pile of externals.

The DroboShare works fine - but if you go this route, ignore the CD that comes with it. It has a big, neon, sticker on it that basically says to use this for the dashboard because it has the right software for your DroboShare. IGNORE THIS. The standard dashboard that comes with the Gen 2 Drobo handles the DroboShare, but the DroboShare SW doesn't handle the Gen 2 Device! If you install this and update to the latest it still only supports USB. So use the device CD and ignore the big sticker on the other one.

The other thing with the DroboShare is if like me you set it up first attached to the computer (DAS) and then later to DroboShare (NAS), you positively need to do a clean shutdown first, by hitting StandBy in the dashboard. If you don't, DroboShare won't recognize it - the first time. In the future if it gets power cycled or such DroboShare will work. It's just the first time; it needs a cleanly shut down device. I had ejected the disk from OS X, that wasn't enough. Gotta use StandBy. This applies even if you happen to power it up without having it plugged into a computer and then power it off and move it to the DroboShare. The device really needs a standby button inside the front cover IMO. I had to search the Drobo knowledge base to resolve this, because the disk shows in the dashboard seemingly correctly, the droboshare responds to e.g. 'smbclient -L droboshare' in a Terminal, and so forth. There's just no actual volume in its list of services.

Anyway, it's great to have all my stuff in one place, and have it accessible from every computer (even my wife's PC)!

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
To DDK David, it appears that patches and bugs are fixed for free even on older units, it is only if they add functionality or features you would be charged. So maybe not so different from other companies?

D

ddk

To DDK David, it appears that patches and bugs are fixed for free even on older units, it is only if they add functionality or features you would be charged. So maybe not so different from other companies?
I was an early adopter of Drobo and DroboShare and both products were very buggy initially, they basically fixed products that didn't work right, now we have to see how they treat people without the contract when it comes to future bug fixes and patches that are needed with the next generation of computers and OSs. I know that I'm not left in the cold with my LaCie raids.

C

curtd

Hey Jack, what is your Drobo setup? I'm looking for the specific software and routine that you use.

Peace, Curt

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Curt, and welcome!

DROBO comes with its own software, Mac or PC versions, and I am running the latest Mac version for my DROBO 2, the FW800 version. My set-up is I treat it as one large drive and store my images on it. If you read through this entire thread, I hove posted images showing the software and explain in pretty good detail how it all works :)

Cheers,

C

curtd

Yes, thank you, I have the Drobo Dashboard, newest version and it works fine. I was more curious about how you were "filling it". Do you use SuperDuper or something like that and how?

Peace, Curt