The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Variable Neutral Density Filters in Landscape Photography

engel001

The potential utility of variable neutral density filters intrigues me. I understand that they are popular in video applications and that may be a factor in the increased variety of these filters. I am primarily interested in static, landscape type applications and am thinking of possibilities like:
a) urban environment, architecture, travel: eliminating moving objects due to long exposure time
b) HDR or panorama stitching where movement such as clouds, water, grass causes strange artifacts or ghosting.

My questions:
What uses do you see in landscape photography?
What is the quality effect in a MFD high-resolution imaging chain? Are they good enough to stand up to 60 megapixels and beyond?
Is a fixed high-density filter better?
Is the new Heliopan filter (Schott glass, I presume) better coated than Fader, Genus, or Singh-Ray brands?
Are these filters even coated?
How bad is vignetting, how wide a lens can you use?

Thanks, - Christopher

Last edited:

Don Libby

Christopher

I used to have tons of filters (okay actually pounds) however I very quickly learned that "most" cases where I thought I needed a filter was correctly in post using Photoshop. While I still have and occasionally use filters (Lee RF75) on both my M9 and tech camera I find myself using various effects in C1 Pro, and/or Nik Viveza as a plug-in to CS5.

Regarding vignetting - I found I could all but eliminate this with the larger filters out to 28mm when using MF gear.

Might not directly answer your questions but I hope I helped...

Don