Site Sponsors

Thread: Variable Neutral Density Filters in Landscape Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Variable Neutral Density Filters in Landscape Photography

The potential utility of variable neutral density filters intrigues me. I understand that they are popular in video applications and that may be a factor in the increased variety of these filters. I am primarily interested in static, landscape type applications and am thinking of possibilities like:
    a) urban environment, architecture, travel: eliminating moving objects due to long exposure time
    b) HDR or panorama stitching where movement such as clouds, water, grass causes strange artifacts or ghosting.

My questions:
    What uses do you see in landscape photography?
    What is the quality effect in a MFD high-resolution imaging chain? Are they good enough to stand up to 60 megapixels and beyond?
    Is a fixed high-density filter better?
    Is the new Heliopan filter (Schott glass, I presume) better coated than Fader, Genus, or Singh-Ray brands?
    Are these filters even coated?
    How bad is vignetting, how wide a lens can you use?

Thanks, - Christopher
    Last edited by engel001; 4th May 2011 at 07:35.

Super Duper

Tucson/Carmel/Jackson Hole
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Variable Neutral Density Filters in Landscape Photography

I used to have tons of filters (okay actually pounds) however I very quickly learned that "most" cases where I thought I needed a filter was correctly in post using Photoshop. While I still have and occasionally use filters (Lee RF75) on both my M9 and tech camera I find myself using various effects in C1 Pro, and/or Nik Viveza as a plug-in to CS5.

Regarding vignetting - I found I could all but eliminate this with the larger filters out to 28mm when using MF gear.

Might not directly answer your questions but I hope I helped...

Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Tucson AZ