The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another bag, dammit all

Godfrey

Traveling the past couple of weeks and using the iPad and Ricoh GXR heavily, it became obvious that once again I didn't have the right bag for the gear. I've been using the Lowepro Terraclime 100 along the way until now but it simply isn't the right shape for the iPad.

I stopped into The Photo Village today and walked out with a Black Label Bag Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II. This is very very similar to the Artisan & Artist bag with the similar name .. A couple of minor enhancements and about $40 less money. A tidy size with plenty of room for what I wanted, holds the iPad nicely and is well put together with good materials.

Link to Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II at The Photo Village

I'll be exercising it quite a lot the rest of the trip...

Um, Lowepro Terraclime 100 for sale now ... !

Godfrey

Damp in manhattan...

Down in the city today to rendezvous w a friend. Raining, I bought a $4 umbrella. Warm. The GXR is perfect for this other than not weather-sealed.

The new bag is damn near perfect for what I wanted! Not cheap but worth it. Very trim, holds a lot, easy to get in and out of while stll nice and secure. I'm happy!

G

Diane B

I gather you returned the Tenba. Your new one sounds good. I do grab my Terraclime for body and 2 lenses, maybe 3 but agree its difficult with Ipad though I've done it--have to hold your mouth right to fit all in though LOL.

Godfrey

I gather you returned the Tenba. Your new one sounds good. I do grab my Terraclime for body and 2 lenses, maybe 3 but agree its difficult with Ipad though I've done it--have to hold your mouth right to fit all in though LOL.
The Tenba is day carry for the E-5 kit, this is for the GXR+iPad kit.
Totally different size and shape to these cameras. The Terraclime was simply too awkward and at it's limit for this kit.

Diane B

Ah, I've never seen the Ricoh, just photos, so don't have a feel for its size. GF1 or EPL1 size-ish? I read a bit on Ricoh's site after you and Uwe posted shots and but would have to compare sizes to get a real idea. My Tenba is great for travel but unlikely I will carry it day to day so looking for an Ipad + small (think G3) body and probably 2 lenses.

BTW I still find the Ricoh concept interesting and the web shotd look really good.

Godfrey

Ah, I've never seen the Ricoh, just photos, so don't have a feel for its size. GF1 or EPL1 size-ish? I read a bit on Ricoh's site after you and Uwe posted shots and but would have to compare sizes to get a real idea. My Tenba is great for travel but unlikely I will carry it day to day so looking for an Ipad + small (think G3) body and probably 2 lenses.

BTW I still find the Ricoh concept interesting and the web shotd look really good.
This is a good pic to get a feel for the size:

It's quite small. The full resolution image quality with the A12 camera modules is quite outstanding, and eve.n the P10 and S10 modules are no slouch.

Camera with one lens, other lens, maybe two, all my other junk and iPad fit neatly in this bag with room to spare.

Godfrey

quickie:

Yesterday turned out to be about five hours of slogging about Manhattan in near-continuous rain and drizzle. The bag has passed its "will it keep everything dry?" test with flying colors... It was alternately splashed, rained on, dried out, etc several times and protected its contents perfectly.

The GXR also made a bunch of really nice photos ... will post a few soon ... :)

Godfrey

follow up review ...

Thought I'd return to this bag thread for a brief moment.

A week and some of continuous use both travel and shooting with the Black Label Bag "Oskar's One Day Bag Mark II" and I remain almost completely delighted with it. The only issue I've found is, happily, very easy to fix. I've written the distributor about it already.

The one and only issue I've found wanting is that the strap hardware is sub-standard quality.

- They use a "square loop" to attach the strap at the sides of the bag which is a thin wire bent into a rectangle ... the rectangle is too large and the diameter of the wire too thin. This allows it to flex and twist at the attachment points causing the strap itself to bunch, which will ultimately lead to fraying and failure. Since I didn't want to unstitch the strap attachment point at the sides of the bag, I hit on the idea of using a carabiner to fix this problem: I cut the square loops (that took no effort at all) and threaded two beautiful, thick diameter West Marine stainless steel carabiners into position. This prevents the strap from twisting or bunching and angles it towards the body just enough ... they'll outlast the bag, I'm sure!

The carabiners I used are WEST MARINE Stainless-Steel Carabiners, 2 3/8" size, model#115931.

- The "tri-slider" adjusters used on both ends of the strap are of similar light/weak quality to the square loops. I've located and ordered tri-sliders in stainless steel that are similar to the West Marine carabiners. Once they come in, I'll unstitch the strap from the standard issue ones and have it restitched at a friend's shop (he constructs racing motorcycle suits) with heavy duty thread.

With these two minor modifications, I'm convinced I'll be enjoying this bag for many years to come. It was a very good purchase.