The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anybody Using Gitzo GT3541XLS (or 3540XLS)?

Dale Allyn

I'm looking for a new field tripod and need more height at times. I'm not a big fan of the very spindly fourth leg sections of most of the tripods, but I'm thinking that with this model I'm less likely to use that fourth section except when I need the reach in uneven terrain.

Here's a link to the tripod: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=workaround.jsp&A=details&Q=&sku=569167&is=REG

I'm curious if others find the fourth section serviceable, i.e. not terrible for flex or vibration. Much of my landscape and nature stuff puts me in places where two legs might need to be partially extended while the third leg might need to be much longer (in large rocks or on a steep slope, etc.).

It's not likely that I'll be able to handle this tripod before ordering it, so wondering what others have found.

David K

Workshop Member
Dale, I just went thru this exercise and wound up with the 5 series instead of the three series but it's a heavy beast. David at Dale Labs knows the Gitzo line like the back of his hand. Drop him an email or call him at 954 920 3648. Also, IIRC, Jack had the Gitzo giant for a while but sold it and went with the three series. From the specs the three series will hold anything you can think of mounting. I do think you've made the right decision going with the systematic series.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Dale:

I am 6'-6" tall (about 198 CM) and I use the 3540 XLS. FWIW I bought it to replace my 1325 (older 3-series CF) and when it arrived I ended up selling my 1548 (older 5-series CF) too since I felt this new pod adequately replaced even the bigger pod --- IOW I got a two-fer. I find it more than adequately rigid fully extended for my MF gear; it is not a typical "spindly" 4th leg section! However, I rarely have to extend any of the legs fully unless the tripod is on a downhill or I am standing on a stool, as it places the camera viewfinder quite a ways above my eyes...

Cheers,

Dale Allyn

David and Jack,

Thank you very much. This is exactly the info I was looking for. In my case I don't need the height of the XLS (I'm about half as tall as Jack ;) ), but the standard height model just isn't tall enough for some of the places I end up. Typically I need one or two legs to reach out for something on uneven terrain.

It sounds like this model will be just about right for me, even if I use it only partly extended most of the time.

Thank you, both, for your input.

Dale

woodyspedden

One interesting point. The 3540 XLS is actually lighter than the 3540 LS. I guess this is totally due to the weight of the center column which is necessary as the pod, fully extended, is just under 4' tall! The LS weighs 4.4 lb and the XLS weighs 4.1. So for my money, unless you really need the height flexibility of the center column (and some level of loss of rigidity) the XLS looks to be the better deal.

JMHO

Woody

Dale Allyn

Woody,

I agree (although I think the LS model is just under five feet at 57.5"). I'm going to forego the center column. I can use a center column partially raised with my DSLR (if I add weight to the column), but it's pretty funky for my MF kit. I really need the occasional long leg reach, so I think that the XLS is the way to go.

Best,

Dale