The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Weird Monitor profiles. New MBP 17 with Eye-One display

baxter

New MBP arrived this week. Having got all the software sorted, it was time to calibrate the monitor. So far this has been unsuccessful in getting a neutral profile.

I've tried several settings for the software but am consistently getting a green cast to the monitor. I'm using latest software Eye-One Match v3.6.3. OSX10.6.8. Room is neutral colours and where I calibrate other computer monitors. The Eye-One Display functions perfectly well on my Eizo Flexscan LCD and also my four year old MBP 15in

Luminance is 113 (closest I can get to either 110 and 120), WB at 6000 or 6500 and gamma 2.2. I've tried designating as both Laptop and LCD monitor, no difference in outcome.

Without the calibration, there's a slight magenta cast. When performing the calibration, the overall green cast appears about half way through. When the profile is made and shown in the last window, the green channel is well above the Red and Blue at the midtones and highlights.

Any ideas please?

weinschela

Subscriber Member
Your computer has an LED screen. The monitor calibrator may not be able to handle it. Most use a technology that is ok for LCD or CRT monitors but not ok for LED. I had the same issue last summer when iI got a new iMac. Green cast. I switched to a Colormunki and the calibration is now fine. I am not sure ColorMunki is the only device that will work (and it is expensive). You'll need to do some investigating to see which devices work with LED monitors.

How green is it and are you being realistic about what a laptop screen is capable of? I'm running a similar setup (15" anti glare MBP, 23" NEC) and I have a bit of a green cast and no matter what I do the colors on the laptop are more saturated than the colors on the NEC. If you want I can post a picture of the calibration curve, but I can tell you it's not pretty and they don't match up.

I would suggest finding out what kind of screen you have and then search for information about it on the macrumors forums and see what issues people have. If I recall, there are three screens being used. LG is generally the best, Samsung is hit and miss. I have a Samsung and it is acceptable. I had an older Macbook with a Samsung screen and there was no saving it. I had an older Macbook and Macbook Pro with LG screens and they profiled perfectly.

baxter

Can't find out from system profiler what make of display I have Bill. Under graphics/displays it only lists AMD Radeon HD6750M the graphic card and Intel HD graphics 3000.

I tried again this morning. Setting gamma to 2.2 with Native White point has produced a clean profile and the monitor is looking much better. Following this I re-profiled with 6500 again and produced the same green tinge.