The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lion compatibility or <fail/>

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
This is a running commentary of items found to fail or work in Lion

Product: Caldigit FASTA-6GU3 eSATA6 and USB3 pcie board
version: 1.0.3
comment: Initial indications are that most functions are working well with driver 1.0.3 OSX 10.7 version
version: 1.0.4
comment: Seems stable under 10.7
comment: system panic with driver implicated in backTrace on 10.7.2 developer seed version of August 6

product: Lion disk utility
version:12 (346)
comment: disk utility gui version cannot verify or repair raid volumes
work-around: use terminal
for usage instructions: man diskutil
1) identify disk by:diskutil list
2) verify volume by:diskutil verifyVolume diskn
3) repair volume by: sudo diskutil repairVolume diskn

Product: Phase One Capture One
version: 6.2.2
comment: Most functions work well
failure: Imports fail
work-around: Use Adobe Bridge importer or just drag your files from the card and copy them into the folder of your choice
failure: Shortcuts for tool selection do not work
work-around-: select tools with your pointing device

version: 6.3
comment: Resolves Lion incompatibilities

Product: NEC Spectraview II
version: 1.1.07
failure: Monitor LUTS calculated and stored correctly, but final step of saving new icc profile fails
version: 1.1.08 saves profile as user profile only http://www.necdisplay.com/support-and-services/spectra-view-II/Downloads and is intended to resolve Lion compatibility issues

Product: Sonos Desktop Controller
version: 3.5
failure: Not supported with Lion
work-around: None - Sonos will have a new version "soon" and advise against upgrading

Product: X-Rite i1Profiler
version: 1.1.1
failure: continuous process crashes every 10 seconds logged in module hasplmd
work-around: None known. Profiles seem to be not affected by this continuous crashing behavior.

Last edited:

mathomas

Hmm, your XML would not validate.

In all seriousness though, this is the first OS X release where I feel the need to really hang back for a while. Looks like trouble. I appreciate those of you that are sacrificing systems to it.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
:pwhat schema were you using? Sorry I omitted the outer wrappers.
It should be fine now :ROTFL:
-bob

Last edited:

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
OK, I stripped the xml since Terry claims that folks don't think in xml.:eek:
I find this hard to believe but obeyed her wishes anyway:D
-bob

Terry

Product: Sonos Desktop Controller
version: 3.5
failure: Not supported with Lion
work-around: None - Sonos will have a new version "soon" and advise against upgrading

mathomas

I see you're using a minimal YAML (no indents, but those are hard to show in HTML) now. It is more readable :D.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I *HATE* Lion so far. Stupid to redesign the UI so radically and not allow reversion to the old ways. And a handful of my legacy software does not work, notably Quicken, and apparantly there is no way to get any version to work right now.

Godfrey

I *HATE* Lion so far. Stupid to redesign the UI so radically and not allow reversion to the old ways. And a handful of my legacy software does not work, notably Quicken, and apparantly there is no way to get any version to work right now.
Quicken Essentials is compatible with Lion. For two of my clients, it does a better job than Quicken for Mac 2007, but of course it doesn't support all the latter's features.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I'm with you Jack. I'm so glad I sequestered it on its own internal drive.

As this is a FAIL thread, I'll repeat what I mentioned on another thread about font issues with CS5 apps, especially Illustrator. Essentially, some fonts that are open and active are not being recognized in Illustrator under Lion. Total deal breaker for me.

For the foreseeable future, there'll be the sound of crickets and tumbleweed coming from that Lion drive, I'm back to Snow where I belong.

Tim

jonoslack

Hah
Well compatibility - everything I'm running, I've had no problems so far, no crashes, no incompatibility.

Love the interface changes, mission control is excellent (except for the horrible icon).

. . . . . am I doing something wrong?

Terry

Hah
Well compatibility - everything I'm running, I've had no problems so far, no crashes, no incompatibility.

Love the interface changes, mission control is excellent (except for the horrible icon).

. . . . . am I doing something wrong?
Whatever you are doing wrong I must have read the same instructions because I'm with you in liking it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Quicken Essentials is compatible with Lion. For two of my clients, it does a better job than Quicken for Mac 2007, but of course it doesn't support all the latter's features.
But you cannot migrate up to it from an older Quicken Mac -- and I had to purchase Essentials BEFORE I found that out! Granted, this is more a Quicken issue than a Lion issue, but still totally sucks for users.

Launchpad is probably great for those of you that like the iPad UI -- I happen to not like it, and much preferred the old spaces and expose' UI's, which worked perfectly for me using the F keys -- I don't need any silly hand gestures on my touch pad. Oh, and speaking of silly, how about that new address book skin? Very professional. NOT! Unless maybe you're in the 3rd grade. Idiots...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
But you cannot migrate up to it from an older Quicken Mac!
Jack,
It would be a good thing™[1] to migrate away from that stale program. Intuit has essentially abandoned the mac user years ago.
-bob

[1] Martha Stewart Living

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bob, I am thinking that is the writing on the wall -- so the question is what do I use? Maybe it's time to move everything to Mint?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
That is a good question.
I am looking at that as well as moneydance as possibilities.
I am hoping to finally kill off vmware for me.
Quickbooks for mac is sort-of ok, but quicken is the pits.
-bob

Godfrey

But you cannot migrate up to it from an older Quicken Mac -- and I had to purchase Essentials BEFORE I found that out! Granted, this is more a Quicken issue than a Lion issue, but still totally sucks for users. ...
I did the migration from "Quicken for Mac 2007" to "Quicken Essentials" for them so I'm not sure what you mean. They provide instructions:

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/getting-started/upgrading-and-conversion/7629.html

The design of the address book and ical is over the top, i agree, but I like the new Mission Control much more than Spaces, etc. LaunchPad ... probably not get much use from me, but it is convenient for some. Full screen mode for Safari and Mail works very well when I'm on the 13" laptop screen, not so useful on the 27" display. I'm finding gestures quite useful and fluid overall. Still getting used to the inverted scrolling direction.

I purged out PowerPC apps in Summer 2010 when I moved to Apple-Intel systems, so for me moving to Lion was simple.

jonoslack

Launchpad is probably great for those of you that like the iPad UI -- I happen to not like it, and much preferred the old spaces and expose' UI's, which worked perfectly for me using the F keys -- I don't need any silly hand gestures on my touch pad. Oh, and speaking of silly, how about that new address book skin? Very professional. NOT! Unless maybe you're in the 3rd grade. Idiots...
HI Jack
a little time with Mission Control should show you that it has all the benefits of spaces and expose rolled into one . . . with the added advantage of being able to create new spaces on the fly.
Correction - idiocy check - sorry Jack, I was thinking of Mission Control and not Launchpad (which seems to me to be fairly unnecessary, but easy to ignore). Thank you Terry for the heads up

Switch off the hand gestures then! but actually, I think that once they get into your 'muscle memory' they're intuitive and helpful. . . and you can still use your F keys

I don't care whether the new skin of the calendar is professional or not . . . . I do think it's completely NAF though! each!

Last edited:

Braeside

Agree about the naffness of iCal.

I use Solar Accounts 3 here and that runs fine in Lion. [Note: Its a UK specific program so handles VAT etc].

I'm generally pretty pleased with Lion now, though I have only tried it on the MBP 13" so far.

jonoslack

. . . . added to which, the new mail application is spiffing - love it (even if I haven't got used to it yet - like the scrolling change).