The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lion compatibility or <fail/>

jonoslack

Whatever you are doing wrong I must have read the same instructions because I'm with you in liking it.
Hi Terry
A friend of mine defines good technology as :

Not Irritating

Apart from the skins for the calendar (don't mind the address book) I'm finding Lion to be completely 'not irritating'.

Hi David
never heard of that accounts system . .. we use Sage in VMware around here . . . although, the support team sent an email in Comic Sans, so their days could be numbered :) - by the way, VMWare is great on Lion, and on the new MBA it positively races along.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I did the migration from "Quicken for Mac 2007" to "Quicken Essentials" for them so I'm not sure what you mean. They provide instructions:

http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/getting-started/upgrading-and-conversion/7629.html
Okay, I got it, but it was not that simple. A few pointers. First off, you need to convert the Quicken file to Essentials in Snow Leopard since the converter is not Lion compatible -- a wee little tip they do not explain very well. So if like me, you were starting from a new MBA with Lion and trying to migrate, you were basically screwed on Quicken. Once I loaded Essentials on my old machine still running Snow Leopard, I then was able to convert the old Quicken data file to Essentials format in Snow Leopard, then I could import it into Essentials on the Lion machine.

Also note that you need to copy and paste this url as the auto link does not work in Safari: "http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/getting-started/upgrading-and-conversion/7629.html"

Oh, and for what it's worth, Essentials looks and operates like a totally different piece of software than Quicken, and is pretty basic. But for my uses it should get through a few more years :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Mission Control is okay and I'll learn to live with it, I just preferred using my hot key to show ALL open windows at one time, not just open windows in a single app at a time a-la MC...

Godfrey

Okay, I got it, but it was not that simple. A few pointers. First off, you need to convert the Quicken file to Essentials in Snow Leopard since the converter is not Lion compatible -- a wee little tip they do not explain very well. So if like me, you were starting from a new MBA with Lion and trying to migrate, you were basically screwed on Quicken. Once I loaded Essentials on my old machine still running Snow Leopard, I then was able to convert the old Quicken data file to Essentials format in Snow Leopard, then I could import it into Essentials on the Lion machine.

Also note that you need to copy and paste this url as the auto link does not work in Safari: "http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/getting-started/upgrading-and-conversion/7629.html"

Oh, and for what it's worth, Essentials looks and operates like a totally different piece of software than Quicken, and is pretty basic. But for my uses it should get through a few more years :)
Hmm. The auto link worked fine for me.

The Quicken for Mac to Quicken Essentials migration instructions were written long before Lion came out and weren't targeting Lion migration. I did the transition for my clients in May or June to solve some other problems they were having, on the advice of support at Intuit.

Yes, QE seems an entirely different application in the way it works, but it has proven to be much easier for my clients to use. The UI seems greatly improved. They are now able to get their bookkeeping done with fewer panic calls to me for assistance (I'm happy for them, even though it's costing me money...)

Braeside

Hi David
never heard of that accounts system . .. we use Sage in VMware around here . . . although, the support team sent an email in Comic Sans, so their days could be numbered :) - by the way, VMWare is great on Lion, and on the new MBA it positively races along.

Hi Jono, I plumped for Solar Accounts 3 after many years of just using my own spreadsheets for bookkeeping.

The attraction was that it was by a UK firm, was simple for the non accountant, was very reasonably priced (compared to Sage), had excellent support, had a free trial that let me actually use it before I bought it. Most importantly it was available for OS X as well as Windows.

Incidentally if after trying the free demo you want to buy, go here for a 20% discount

[I have no connection with them other than as a customer].

I am fairly familiar with Sage as one of my customers uses that in Parallel Desktop on their Accounts Mac. [At least they didn't have to get a Windows PC to run it]. Yes Parallel Desktop works fine in Lion too.

Glad the new MBA is doing so well. I'm also really enjoying the MBP since I fitted the SSD to it.

Incidentally I have switched on FileVault 2 (whole disk encryption) on the MBP and TimeMachine works perfectly with it, a big improvement over the implementation of FileVault 1.

jonoslack

Mission Control is okay and I'll learn to live with it, I just preferred using my hot key to show ALL open windows at one time, not just open windows in a single app at a time a-la MC...
HI Jack
My mission control shows all open windows in that 'space' (with the option to change spaces) . . . but maybe that's what you mean?

If you want to show all the open windows for an application at once, then i think you need to set a hot key or hot corner to Application Windows - which then shows you just that. Hope this helps.

all the best

Godfrey

Hi Terry
A friend of mine defines good technology as :

Not Irritating

Apart from the skins for the calendar (don't mind the address book) I'm finding Lion to be completely 'not irritating'. ...
that's been my experience. I have just two apps that require booting from my Snow Leopard backup disk because they use kexts which are not 64bit compatible (Olympus Updater 2) or require Rosetta (Xrite iMatch), and neither are used very frequently.

The new iCal looks ugly, the Address Book silly, but eh? They work and I quickly ignore the silliness.

After five days practice, I'm almost using the inverted scroller direction semi naturally. I just have to "not look" at the scroll indicators and keep my eyes on the document. :)

jonoslack

After five days practice, I'm almost using the inverted scroller direction semi naturally. I just have to "not look" at the scroll indicators and keep my eyes on the document. :)
Ah! I admire you for persisting, I know it bugged you. I'm loving it . . . but I still make mistakes, notably in Windows 7 (yeah yeah, I know, but I do have to earn a living!). It's code snippets that do it for me - but I'll get there, and I still think they're right.

all the best

Godfrey

Found today that Google Earth doesn't seem to be terribly happy. It runs fine, but the mouse position for controlling the content view isn't being handled properly.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I switched to Lion as I thought that at some point I have to. Less problems than expected (don't print from that machine though).

On the other side I don't see why we even need Lion. I think improved 10.6 would be good enough.

Godfrey

I switched to Lion as I thought that at some point I have to. Less problems than expected (don't print from that machine though).

On the other side I don't see why we even need Lion. I think improved 10.6 would be good enough.
I've made five client prints with the Epson R2400 from Lion in the past two days ... The printer operated flawlessly, the prints are perfect, consistent replicas of the original ones in the series. I wouldn't worry too much as long as your printer is supported.

Lion is the "improved 10.6" that you speak of. ];-) Just finished reading the extensively geeky Ars Technica article about it. He dabbles into OS minutiae which is mostly inconsequential to the vast majority of end users, but points to a lot of the very serious and good work done to produce Lion. And to some of the future directions coming from Apple as well. I'm actually excited about the OS for the first time since 10.4 ...!

Aside from silliness like the UI design of iCal and Address Book, I haven't found anything bad in Lion so far.

Of course, I stopped using almost all PowerPC based applications a year ago and have been running the 64-bit kernel for six months now, so very little of what I use is no longer supported (and what little isn't supported I use infrequently enough that an old, small Snow Leopard boot up to run it is sufficient until it is properly updated).

And I *almost* have the knack of the inverted scrolling down now.
It's a brave new world... ;-)

jonoslack

Didn't we say that about OS 7? (perhaps we were right?)

. . . . the new mail application is great, being able to resize windows from all sides (microsoft patent must have run out), Mission Control, Full screen . . . . lots worth having I think.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Well I am finally over the "migration from hell" ... I would not advise migrating from hardware running Snow Leopard to anything new running Lion --- wayyyyy too many issues. My advice is to start fresh if you can, but if you must migrate, then upgrade the old machine to Lion first, fix the bits, then migrate.

Godfrey

Well I am finally over the "migration from hell" ... I would not advise migrating from hardware running Snow Leopard to anything new running Lion --- wayyyyy too many issues. My advice is to start fresh if you can, but if you must migrate, then upgrade the old machine to Lion first, fix the bits, then migrate.
Sorry to hear you've had such a difficult installation.

My experience was quite different: I cloned my Snow Leopard 500G startup drive for backward retreat security and then installed Lion. Two applications needed to be updated, two others can't work at present so I deleted them ... they're on the backup if I need them.

Done. I've had no headaches, no difficulties, other than the danged inverted scrolling and learning all the new stuff.

Terry

Sorry to hear you've had such a difficult installation.

My experience was quite different: I cloned my Snow Leopard 500G startup drive for backward retreat security and then installed Lion. Two applications needed to be updated, two others can't work at present so I deleted them ... they're on the backup if I need them.

Done. I've had no headaches, no difficulties, other than the danged inverted scrolling and learning all the new stuff.
I think you are talking apples and oranges (excuse pun). He was going from Snow Leopard to a whole brand new computer with Lion. So, it wasn't simply a software upgrade but software + hardware change at the same time.

jonoslack

Hi Jack
I don't know if you've noticed, but there has just been a snow leopard update for those doing just that. Maybe they've sorted out those issues now.

Truth be told, I also SHOULD have had real issues - I migrated using my time machine backup, and it randomly chose a backup nearly 2 months old!!!!
Fortunately my data is held elsewhere (dropbox, external drives etc.) so it was only a case of updating a few programs and license numbers, all my emails, calendars, addresses are synchronised via mobile me anyway, so that wasn't an issue. For me, it took less than half an hour to get back where I was, but I can understand your pain if the same thing happened to you. I was just lucky (or did I make my own luck?)

Hopefully now you can settle down and enjoy the real advantages.

all the best

Godfrey

I think you are talking apples and oranges (excuse pun). He was going from Snow Leopard to a whole brand new computer with Lion. So, it wasn't simply a software upgrade but software + hardware change at the same time.
I didn't realize that, but then it shouldn't have been difficult in that case either, presuming that the older system was up to date with Mac OS X "Snow Leopard".

The way I set this system up in the first place, moving from the G5 to the mini a year ago, was to set up the mini with Snow Leopard and my apps, then use the Migration Assistant to move my user account and shared information directories (not the applications). It worked very nicely overall.

(When I moved from the mini to the MBP, both of them on Snow Leopard, I used SuperDuper! to clone the mini drive into the MBP so it was identical to what was on the mini. I only wiped and re-installed the OS on the mini when I sold it, hadn't had any reason to use it for six months.)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jack
I don't know if you've noticed, but there has just been a snow leopard update for those doing just that. Maybe they've sorted out those issues now.
It effing figures --- I am certain I was not the only early adopter that had issues, and no doubt the genius bars were flooded and why the rapid fixes. Seriously, I do know my way around an OS and have cloned and migrated many machines, yet I was scratching my head on about a dozen weird issues this time -- I will never, repeat NEVER, migrate to new hardware again unless/until the source is running the same OS. Anyway, I am all good now, but frankly a little [issed at the totally UN-apple way this one went.

Godfrey

>And I *almost* have the knack of the inverted scrolling down now.

I reverted that.
I did too at first. I needed good control of the mouse for setting up the system properly. But when you invert the mouse scroller direction, it's also linked to trackpad action on the laptop, then swiping from application to application in full screen view happens backwards. Unnerving.

I like full screen mode when working on the laptop away from my desk ... it makes full use of the 13 inch display. So I decided to re-train my perspective and do it Apple's new way.

My remark was a joke, really. I'm comfortable with the new inverted scroller actions now. I just don't look at the scrollbar position indicator when I'm scrolling and all works right.