The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Good backpack to use with Macbook Air 11"

ustein

Contributing Editor
I want to carry my new 11" air with me nearly all the times. What is a good small backpack with a medium m43 kit:

- G3
- 14-140mm
- 14-54mm Oly 43 zoom
- 45 Macro
- somes computer gear: charger, adapters, card reader + glasses

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
How small is small? I like my Kata DR-466i for a Leica M9 kit and laptop. I would guess the size is suitable for m43 as well. It has a tripod strap which comes off when not in use, and the foot pocket folds into a tiny zip compartment. Comes with a separate (tiny) cover and the lumbar strap comes off as well when not in use. All-around a pretty nice versatile little day pack/small photo bag/carryon.

marlof

I spent two weeks in the mountains with the Kata DR-467i on my back. For me it's the ideal size for a carry everywhere backpack: not too large or heavy, but holds quite a bit of photographic (GH2 14-140 45 9-18 and E-P2 with 20) and other gear (iPad, chargers, cables) with a little extra space for food/clothing.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
+1 for the Kata 466i/467i. I have worn out a 466i, using it for 3-4 day trips all over SE Asia. The laptop pocket is large enough for 3-4 clean shirts, and with the tiny size of the MBA 11", that should go in easily even with some clothing there. A nice feature of the 467i is that the divider between the top and bottom compartment can be opened, so that a small tripod, like one of the small carbon fiber models from Sirui, can be carried inside the bag, giving better weight distribution and not catching people, trees and eagles in cramped environments. Still, there's room for one body and five lenses at the bottom.

Other advantages are lots of small pockets and a bottom rooms that can be opened without cameras and lenses falling out.

I've suggested to Kata that they split the top/bottom divider so that it's easier to carry a tripod or a long telephoto lens inside the bag. They're considering the option. The only disadvantages with these bags are that the size of the top storage is limited, so no space for bulky clothing (for me, this is the city bag), and that the fabric towards the back wears out over time. There's also no air circulation between my back and the back of the bag, so it tends to get damp there, at least here where the temperature is mostly above 30 degrees C.

Very highly recommended :thumbs:

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Agree on the size of the top compartment being too small to pack clothes. They could improve on this by making the bag a little more box shaped overall.

cjlacz

This is maybe a little larger than you were looking for, but I like the look of F-Stop's new Guru. http://fstopgear.com/en/guru

They have new shallow and micro ICUs for smaller camera systems so you get a little use of the full height of the bag. I guess the waist belt is either a good or bad thing depending if you think you need it or not. Definitely a little more space in their for clothes if you are traveling.