The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lion Design Issues

ustein

Contributing Editor
Here is a scenario and the flawed implementation:

People asked to open all apps into the same state after a re-boot as before. Yes, that maybe useful in some cases. So Lion implemented it.

I don't like it as my main tools will be often different each time. What am I complaining here. There is this great checkbox to disable it, right?

1. This checkbox is not sticky
2. If another computer is connected to your machine (and my Air is most of the time) this option will never show
3. If you have a UI freeze (I had one today) all the apps that were open before will open again and this maybe even the cause for the problem in the first place.

Conclusion

Keep it simple and never try to be too clever. Lion wants to be way to clever here. If I could disable it no problem. Doesn't seem to be possible.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Lion wants to be way to clever here.
Agreed. If you are going to be clever, then give me all the tools necessary to manage that cleverness to suit my own personal needs. Which I guess are there if I bothered to learn Unix and implement my desires through terminal, but that is not a very elegant solution IMHO...

mathomas

Lion is the first version of OS X in which I have been completely disinterested. The weird direction Apple is going in with it, plus the (threat of) lack of support for Java in the future (I'm a programmer) has me worried that I'll have to dual-boot my machine and use Linux for my development tasks. What a bummer.

Terry

Send the specific feedback to Apple. I have seen one program written by a third party to manage which apps reopen their windows on an application by application basis but it should be built into the interface.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I get the up-specced MacBoo Air (11") this week; it has Lion installed, as we all know. I will play with this to get a feel of the new OS.

For me, the work machine (same 15", high-rez matte-screen quad-core MBP, with big SSD from OWC, that Guy uses) will stay Snow Leopard for the foreseeable future.

Years ago, I became the first person in the world to discover that an update to Tiger completely disabled the most basic function of Final Cut Pro (the Log and Capture window!), in the middle of a job; that took my machine out of action for nearly two weeks. Reading all the reports on user's groups of pro apps that will not work (or parts, like plug-ins and drivers) convinces me that a number of iterations of the new OS will be needed before I update the MBP—if, in fact, I do. Snow Leopard feels like a user-configurable OS, it's very reliable, and C1Pro 6x, FCP, and Aperture run beautifully on it.

I ordered the 11" MBA because I could not bond with the iPad 2—and part of that is the OS, and the inability to use the iPad like a small computer. The MBA is the same footprint, has a keyboard (now backlit; thank you), is fast with the i7 chip, and has plenty of storage and—most importantly—behaves like a computer.

The checkbox that Uwe refers to needs to operate at the OS level, and must be sticky. And I agree 100% with Jack, too: cleverness absolutely needs to be managed!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I ordered the 11" MBA because I could not bond with the iPad 2—and part of that is the OS, and the inability to use the iPad like a small computer.

I got my new 11" Air for the same reasons. I like the iPad but it is an entertainment device and not something to work on. Yes, the 11" (max specced) is slightly bigger and weighs about 400g more but is real computer if you want one.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
My brother, a scientist, says the iPad is the ultimate internet content consumption device; I agree with this. But it's not really designed for any creation tasks, IMHO. The 11" MBA can't be used in quite the same way (I don't think that any of the iTunes Apps, for example, can be read by the MBA, but I will be happy to be corrected on this) but I do not use any of these presently.

My main reason for getting the Air (apart from its form and size) is that, as we move to a 'cloud' environment, it is the ideal way to get/send email, browse (and respond to forums like this one), and for processing casual snap shots when travelling (most of the time). I just looked through all my applications prior to getting set up to use the new MBA, and all are free, apart from Aperture, or I own versions that allow multiple installations. An iPad simply can't be used this way, even with a remote keyboard.

mathomas

I ordered the 11" MBA because I could not bond with the iPad 2—and part of that is the OS, and the inability to use the iPad like a small computer. The MBA is the same footprint, has a keyboard (now backlit; thank you), is fast with the i7 chip, and has plenty of storage and—most importantly—behaves like a computer.
I got my new 11" Air for the same reasons. I like the iPad but it is an entertainment device and not something to work on. Yes, the 11" (max specced) is slightly bigger and weighs about 400g more but is real computer if you want one.
I guess great minds think alike. I'm considering the very same move. Typing on the iPad makes me grit my teeth. Posting photos or quoting content on this and other forums, on the iPad, is horrible. I hate the cut/paste gestures. Certain things on certain web sites just don't work on the iPad. There's just that little bit of extra friction to get things done sometimes.

Terry

I'm keeping both MBA and iPad and depending on the trip I either take the iPad or take both.

iPad is easier through airports don't need to take it out of your bag.
3G always there without tethering etc.
iPad is still the best device for an airplane.
Great for Airplay of video through the TV

ustein

Contributing Editor
>3G always there without tethering etc.

I use the IP4 hotspot.

>Great for Airplay of video through the TV

My own videos and downloaded videos play fine from the Air to the Apple TV (not airplay but play from iTunes library.

I wish I could make my Air into a tablet. Also an emulation of the iPad on the Air would be nice (there is one for developers)

-------------------------

It is fun to view and control a 24" remotely from the Air (tiny fints and still possible).