The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Adding Memory to i7 iMac

sc_john

I have a question about which of the four slots to add memory. I bought i7 iMac with basic 4 GB memory configuration (2x2). I am adding 8 GB (2x4). I have read that memory that is larger should be placed in the slots occupied by original modular, then smaller modules in open slots.

Here's is source of my confusion. Instructions that came with iMac state:
"If you replace the installed memory modules, insert new memory module into each of the slots furthest from the display."
This is what I did and put the smaller (original modules) in open slots -- closest to to display. However. Apple support page linked to "About This Mac" in menu bar states
"i5 and i7 Quad Core iMac computers come with both top memory slots populated. These computers will not start up if only a single DIMM is installed in any bottom slot; these computers should operate normally with a single DIMM installed in any top slot. Core Duo iMac computers should operate normally with a single DIMM installed in any slot, top or bottom. ("Top" and "bottom" slots refer to the orientation of the slots in the pictures below. "Top" refers to the slots closest to the display; "bottom" refers to the slots closest to the stand).".
These instructions conflict with each other. What is the correct positioning of the larger modules. The computer is starts up fine and is operating. I just want to make sure I am getting the maximum advantage of the additional memory.

Thanks.

John

Scargos2

If you click on the apple in top left. it will tell you the amount of memory on you computer. This will tell you if the new memory is working