The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Eye-Fi directly to iPad

fotophil

I have used the Eye-Fi card - iPad on a Pentax 645D with limited success. The Eye-Fi card is in the camera's second slot which is setup for the smallest JPG files. Since it takes 10 to 20 seconds for the image to appear on the iPad I don't think the Eye-Fi card write speeds are the issue. The setup works O:K in a controlled environment (like my work bench) but seems to have some random problems in the field. It seems like a promising idea but maybe not yet ready for "Prime Time".

fotophil

The card is 4 GB Connect X2 and the file size is 3072 x 2304 compressed to 1:16. I tried lower compression ratios but the iPad displayed image quality didn't change. I am running the card in direct mode with Shuttersnitch. Maybe the X2 Pro Card in combination with a small wireless router would be better? When it all works the iPad displayed image quality is good and allows zooming to check focus.

Terry

With the software update from eye-fi (see the article/video I linked to) you should be able to bypass shuttersnitch and just use the cards capability to set up its own wifi network. You might want to give it a try to see if it is faster.

fotophil

I am running in direct mode just as described in the video. I found that Shuttersnitch was better for me than the Eye-Fi software but direct mode will function with either software. Although the reliability (or lack of) issue may be improved by using a small router instead of direct mode, it isn't clear that the speed will improve. It sounds like a good test program for somebody

fotophil

I have been able to use the Connect X2 Eye-Fi card in conjunction with a battery powered router for sending jpg files to my ipad for viewing purposes. The transfer takes 10 to 20 seconds but the image quality displayed on the ipad screen is great so zooming for focus check works well. I have also used the direct mode transfer mode on the Eye-Fi Card (eliminates the need for external router). I need some time to compare the reliability of the two methods. The whole scheme is useful only on cameras that have 2 card slots and lack live view - like Pentax 645D and Leica S2

Terry

I got the eye-fi card this week and set it up last night. I'm going to test it out with my iPad this weekend. I will have it in direct mode with the Olympus XZ-1. It only has one card slot but I will shoot RAW + jpeg and just transfer the jpegs to the iPad.

I will update my thoughts over the weekend.

fotophil

Sounds like fun. I have found Shuttersnitch to be more convenient to use than the Eye-Fi Program. If you try Shuttersnitch be sure not to run the Eye-Fi Program at the same time because there is some sort of conflict.