The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your iOS 5 update story

ustein

Contributing Editor
Today was wasted by updates:

- 2 Mac to 10.7.2: took time but worked fine
- iPhone 4 (#1): took quite some time but worked fine
- iPad 2: worked the second time
- iPhone 4 (#2): failed many times ( error 3014 I think, server error at Apple as I understand). At some point the phone was void of anything. Restoring it brought it right back to iOS5 :).

monza

I had the same result on my iPhone 4 as your second...error 3004 several times, then a restore that failed 2 or 3 times. Then success. :)

Still have 2 more hours of downloading the 10.7.2 update...

PeterL

Iphone 4 update failed two times with server time outs, but worked the third time - it did take a while though, maybe 30-40 min.

Cheers, -Peter

Terry

I started the update right around 10AM in SF. I got pretty far and had 9 minutes remaining on the download but about that time the whole world must have logged in. That last 9 minutes took 1.5 hours. I got stuck on the errors and decided to try to upgrade to 10.7.2 first (the analysis of the error messages wasn't really diagnosed yet).

Managed to get 10.7.2 on my work MBP pretty easily but when I started it at home on the MacPro after giving up on the iPad/iPhone updates it was saying 2 hours remaining.

Finally had to go to work around noon......will start again when I get home.

I think every geek in San Francisco started the process between 10:00 and 10:10.

Diane B

I started to update about 1:20 EST, was all prepared to do several and cancelled--some premonition????? . Glad I did LOL and I'll wait a bit until the logjam unjams a bit.

emr

My MBP got the 10.7.2 update a bit slowly but with no significant problems. With the iPad I spent about three hours in vain: waiting, waiting, waiting, error, error, error. Fail.

BTW, they have now released the Aperture 3.2 update as well.

Terry

I just got home a few minutes ago and on the first iPad "re-try" it seems to be updating smoothly. Restoring the Apps right now. This should be the last of these sorts of synchs and now all should happen via iCloud.

Next up iPhone...which I hadn't even started this AM.....but in the meantime here is some Siri humor :loco:

http://shitthatsirisays.tumblr.com/

Knorp

Started my iPad upgrade just before 20:00 CET and was ready to go at 01:00 CET ... :sleep006: ... :sleep006: ... :sleep006:
But ... I got it ... :loco: ... :D

Godfrey

I'm on travel with only my iPad with me (I'm borrowing use of my friend's MacBook Pro while here occasionally) so I'll be updating my systems after I return home on the 25th.

But I'll be reading your experiences... I think I'll carry my personal laptop, iPad and iPod Touch into the office to do the update there with the faster network. I do need to read up on iCloud and see how it affects my iTunes and other synchronized stuff too. I haven't had time to follow it in detail ...

Terry

Start to finish my iPhone (with lots of Apps but no music) took 1.5 hours and ran smoothly with no glitches.

People should note that this upgrade looks very different to previous updates. There is a lot more going on. It seems on this update they essentially wipe the device, install the new software and then restore the apps and data. In the past you never really saw as many different processes kick of complete and launch the next process. Hard to explain but just letting folks know that the process has changed.

Terry

Apple will already have updated my iOS 5 for me when I pick up my iPhone 4S
I will be curious to see how it works I have a new one coming as well. I always like to know I'm working on the new OS before moving over so I did the iPhone last night.

OlliL

My update story:

- Required iTunes update took 3 hours, to download
- Update doesn't go on, when backup is done

Yay! :D

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I did the iOS5 update on my Mac and iPhone yesterday evening without any problems. But it did take a while.

scho

Updated yesterday to Lion and then shortly after to 10.7.2. Updated my 3GS iPhone to IOS5 - all of this took several hours. Now doing damage control. Quicken for Mac (2007 - last version released) was first victim and no longer works on Lion - worse you cannot convert your data and import to Quicken Essentials (horrible software) on Lion. I finally moved Quicken 2007 and my data file from a backup drive to my wife's old iMac running Leopard - she is now in charge of finances (gasp! - no more impulsive photo purchases). Now looking for another financial software vendor as Intuit appears to have little interest in further Mac development.