The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Your iOS 5 update story

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Updated yesterday to Lion and then shortly after to 10.7.2. Updated my 3GS iPhone to IOS5 - all of this took several hours. Now doing damage control. Quicken for Mac (2007 - last version released) was first victim and no longer works on Lion - worse you cannot convert your data and import to Quicken Essentials (horrible software) on Lion. I finally moved Quicken 2007 and my data file from a backup drive to my wife's old iMac running Leopard - she is now in charge of finances (gasp! - no more impulsive photo purchases). Now looking for another financial software vendor as Intuit appears to have little interest in further Mac development.
SEE Finance ... best move I made from Intuit.

Bob

monza

Tried 10.7.2 download again today. It resumed where it had left off yesterday, took 6 minutes (vs 4 hours) to download, installation took a few minutes.

5 PM CST Thurs 13 October

Upgraded iPhone 4 (removed music and videos first). This took about 45 mins and was completely routine.

Diane B

Very different. Lots to pay attention to. After install, verification and download to Itunes of many apps (less than 1/2 that I marked for sync), I got message that 22 were "missing" and couldn't be synced to Ipad. I synced those that were okay and started a reinstall of the 22 others I wanted from "purchased" in app store. I had no hope for two of them with a lot of content (I had backed up most crucial on Dropbox) but after slogging through all my "purchased" apps since May of 2010 to find the ones to reinstall (and it was VERRRRRRRY slow as I'm sure many others were doing the same) I was delighted to discover those "lost" apps, on reinstall from app store had all their content. Never had that happen before with reinstalls. Long process but its done on this device (two more to go and set up Iclouds on PC) and so far I'm happy with the few changes I've used.

Oh, and had two errors and two disconnects of Ipad to PC. I finally wondered if my USB cable was at fault--time for restore had stood at 3 hours. After reconnecting and using new cable it took 1/2 hour for complete restore. My verification was quite fast--this seemed to be the biggest issue last night.

Diane

Start to finish my iPhone (with lots of Apps but no music) took 1.5 hours and ran smoothly with no glitches.

People should note that this upgrade looks very different to previous updates. There is a lot more going on. It seems on this update they essentially wipe the device, install the new software and then restore the apps and data. In the past you never really saw as many different processes kick of complete and launch the next process. Hard to explain but just letting folks know that the process has changed.

marlof

Updated an iPad, an iPod Touch and an iPhone 3GS without a glitch. I had to resist my urges to break off the process when the process seemed to hang, since they were still humming along but no tshowing any progress. I did wait one day before starting the update process, due to earlier experiences on release days.

Last edited:

weinschela

Subscriber Member
IPad2 took two tries and ended up having to "restore" it. Also ended up with different Apple ID and password - a very old one of mine. Very strange but all is working now.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
I've been oblivious to the recent spate of updates. Working at the MAC during long days, nights and weekends. But yesterday afternoon at around 6:00 pm I got one of those Software Update notices. Checked into what was wanting to install itself and discovered 10.7.2. I clicked install and expected a long download but instead got the restart question. Sure. Went downstairs to cook dinner and when i came back everything was up and running. I'm guessing the update downloaded on its own while I was working. Most painless update ever.

etrigan63

Updated my Mac Pro to Lion 10.7.2 with no issues. Updated my iPad2 to iOS 5 and it went OK except the update decided to scatter my apps over 6 pages as opposed to my anal retentive folder arrangement. My iPhone4 updated smoothly.

Question where is Siri or is that only on the iPhone4S?

My wife's iPhone4 update via Windows 7 went fine but too slow for her tastes.

My daughter's (age 14) iPhone4 update nearly caused her an aneurysm since she could not text her friends while it was updating. That and a faulty cable caused some grief.

My son's (age 11) iPod Touch (gen 3) did not report an update available. iOS5 is not available for it?

ustein

Contributing Editor
>nearly caused her an aneurysm since she could not text her friends while it was updating.

Ouch

cjlacz

Little late, but I updated a day after it was released. Started it before I went to bed and it was all done in the morning. Everything went really smoothly and no problems at all. Upgrades on my two Macs also went fine (4+ year old Macbook Pro and Macbook Air). Converted everything over to iCloud, no issues so far.