The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any recommendations for card readers?

Stuart Richardson

Are any of these faster or better than any other? I only have one, and I bought it in Yodobashi Camera back in 2005 for about 15 bucks. It is called "digio" and is a multi-format reader that uses USB 2.0 and does CF, SD, XD and some other types I have never heard of. It says "Loas" as the branding on the back...made in China. Nevertheless, it seems to have the job for everything from the DMR to the Emotion 54LV. Anyway, are there Firewire 800 ones or any that are just particularly quick and efficient? Or are they all pretty much limited by the speed of the card?

Any particular favorites? Ideally it would be one that could do both SD and CF, as I shoot regularly with both. If there are separates that are fast enough to warrant having one for each, I would consider it.

Anyway, thanks for all the help.

Stuart

Terry

Stuart,
I can't find the one I have but it looks like this one. The difference being that mine takes both SD and CF. It is USB 2. I don't know if it is considered fast or slow but it works without problems. Some of the newer Sandisk cards actually come with a reader

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/558993-REG/Sandisk_SDDRX3_CF_A31_Extreme_III_USB_2_0.html

here is a bundle....expensive but firewire (which could be helpful with your big MF files.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/447881-REG/Sandisk_SDCFRX4_2048R_2GB_Extreme_IV_UDMA.html

Stuart Richardson

Thanks Terry -- I should have researched a bit more before I posted this thread. Rob Galbraith has a massive chart of all the current readers and their speeds. It looks like for the cards I use, the Lexar UDMA dual slot reader would work great. It is around 40 bucks, but it is much faster with the CF cards, and it still supports SD.

It is here: http://www.adorama.com/ILXCRCFPUD.html?searchinfo=udma card reader&item_no=3

I would still love to hear if people have dissenting opinions about this though...

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
If anyone is looking for fast card readers for a MacBook Pro, I am using the SIIG ExpressCard SD card reader and the Verbatim Express Card|34 CF card readers. They are super fast, but do require swapping out for the different cards.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I have a Delkin 34 CF card reader for my MacBook Pro ,works nice. Nice that it is flat and fits in cases easier.

Stuart Richardson

I tried one of those card slot readers in my Macbook Pro but it did not work at all. It showed up in the USB bus, but it would not recognize cards.
It's all her fault:

She spilled a cup of tea on my computer over on that side, so I suspect she is to blame. How could I be angry though?

dseelig

I use the sandisk udma firewire care reader works great on my book book pro . I HAVE AN EXTRA UNOPENED and a sandisk ultra 11 4 gb card to sell 50 bucks for both . I would sell the reader for 35 shipped alone David PS I would be unable to say an angry word at your friend either.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks David -- that is a really kind offer. That said, I think I will stick with the Lexar one. I need the SD compatibility, and I would rather have just one unit. I am sure that someone else here will sweep it up in a second though.