The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kindle Fire vs iPad

Braeside

Thanks Diane, that does help! - I think I will go with the 32GB iPad for now, and see what Apple have further down the line that may tempt me (higher res screen) and by then I'll know if I need more memory or not.

I'm looking at an Apple refurb as a further saving, I've had a good experience with their refurbished products recently.

Godfrey

Thanks Diane, that does help! - I think I will go with the 32GB iPad for now, and see what Apple have further down the line that may tempt me (higher res screen) and by then I'll know if I need more memory or not.

I'm looking at an Apple refurb as a further saving, I've had a good experience with their refurbished products recently.
Many of my personal machines (and office machines!) have been Apple refurbs. I've never had a problem with any of them.

Regards iPad memory capacity, most people I know who generate content (photos, movies, documents, etc) are best off with the 32 or 64 Gbyte models. Most people who consume content can live comfortably with the 16 and 32 Gbyte models.

I bought two 64 Gbyte models, one for me and one for my partner.

Mine generally has 32-40 Gbytes free space unless I'm working on a project as I use the space to hold my originals and work files, then archive them off to my main workstation. I might be working on 3G of data at one time, or 25G at another.

My partner, on the other hand, uses the storage for convenience. He fills the iPad with *all* his photographs, music, videos and such so that he never has to decide whether to load or unload something ... it's always all there. His data grows slowly so by the time he runs out of space the next generation with 128G will likely be available.

Your particular working habits mean a lot in terms of how much storage capacity you should have ... but in the absence of cost constraints, "more is better". ;-)

monza

The need for space is going to be greatly reduced in my case, due to the icloud. I will probably go for a 16gb 'furb. Like Godfrey I have bought lots of refurbs from Apple over the years, never had one that was in any way inferior to a new one.

Terry

OK - My new Kindle Touch arrived today. Amazon gets huge demerits in my book. The new Kindle ships with a USB cable only. Nothing to plug it into the wall with. So you now must either charge via computer or buy your own USB wall plug. I have a bunch in reserve from old BlackBerrys, iPods etc. But I have to ask what in the world were they thinking. Bad cost cutting move.

weinschela

Subscriber Member
I had an older Kindle and after I got an iPad, my daughter received a nice gift of the Kindle. They are both media consumption devices. I just happen to like reading on the ipad better. Especially if you fly. The backlighting is better. If you read outdoors a lot the Kindle is better. But the iPad trumps it with the many apps available and while the keyboard takes some getting used to, I found it fairly easy to do emails or forum posts.

LizaWitz

android is a counterfeit of iOS. Apple spent 7 years working on iOS, and android, within a year, suddenly had a "touch" operating system. You can't fake it like this. You have to compromised massive amounts of polish in order to try and get something out to market.

Further, in order to get the fire down to this price, amazon has to compromise in a variety of ways, in components, etc. There's a reason the iPad competitors haven't been able to match Apple's price so far for comparable tablets... usually they're a $100 or more over.

B

bcullen

In a nut shell, the kindle fire seems to be able in terms of giving the iPad a run for its money but I am not too eager to make the judgement just yet. The Apple has already established to be a great brand and whatever comes its way just makes for healthy competition of you ask me. It may stand as a good competitor but the iPad has already made its mark in the industry. I am no Apple fanboy, in fact I have an android mobile phone and tablet but that is the harsh truth.

Braeside

Well, I ended up getting an iPad 2 3G 32GB refurb at PC World for a really good price. Seems as new, though it did have another person's photos on it! - I just scrubbed it and installed iOS 5.0.1 and all is cool. [Probably will never use the 3G part of it, but it does a real GPS receiver in it]. So far I am loving it.

Last edited:

Braeside

OK - My new Kindle Touch arrived today. Amazon gets huge demerits in my book. The new Kindle ships with a USB cable only. Nothing to plug it into the wall with. So you now must either charge via computer or buy your own USB wall plug. I have a bunch in reserve from old BlackBerrys, iPods etc. But I have to ask what in the world were they thinking. Bad cost cutting move.
I recall my original iPod Touch from Apple came with only a USB lead and no charger as well.

At least the iPad and iPhone come with chargers.