The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ColorMunki Photo on a Mac

etrigan63

Hey all,
I am currently reviewing a ColorMunki Photo and was trying to profile some Red River Polar Matte paper on my Mac and HP B9180. My first attempt went very badly. Can anyone give me some pointers on what printer settings to use to print the test targets?

TIA

C

carbonmetrictree

Hey man, I had a really difficult time in calibrating my Canon IPF5100 with the Colormunki as well.

When printing the test target, select a paper profile that is closest to the paper (if Red River has a specific profile, use that one to calibrate with). You want to make sure that you remember how you printed the test target because this will be the workflow you will use to print images. After the test print comes out and you wait 10mins for it to dry, make sure you start the calibration before the first arrow. I had some weird results when I pressed the calibration button when the Munki was on the first color watch. Repeat the steps as needed, then you should have a profile ready to print with.

For printing images:
What I had to do was basically convert my image to the color profile by going to Edit-Convert to Profile in Photoshop. Then in the print screen, select No Color Management in the Color Handling drop down box. If you select your profile here, you would basically be double profiling your image because it has already been set to the profile. Go through your normal printer dialogue box and select the correct paper type, I don't know what HP's options are, but I'm guessing you will have to choose a generic HP paper type such as "Premium Matte" or something. For my Canon, I have to choose "Photo Paper Plus Semi Gloss" for Ilford's Smooth Pearl.

Don't worry if you didn't get it the first time, I had to try for two nights in a row to finally get a calibrated print! It took that long because I had to change one variable at a time to see if it was the right setting to use. The Colormunki's documentation is terrible, it works for some people and fails for others. I suppose you and I aren't part of the lucky group.

Anyway, good luck, hope that helps!

Andrew

etrigan63

Thanks Andrew! I tend to print straight out of Aperture2/LR2. LR2 has the better printing setup by far and if I finally get that P30 back I am gunning for, I will probably use LR2 as I cannot deal with C1 (any version). Pity that Bibble5 won't support Phase One backs. Everyone and their mother seems to support Leaf though...

C

carbonmetrictree

I haven't tried LR2 yet, I'm a bit old school on my workflow and still like to use ACR and Bridge. C1 seems to be alright, but I can't live without the calibrate palette for selective color. Hope everything works out okay, I'm still hesitant to use the CM sometimes.