The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I'm having trouble picking D700 or 5D II...

Hi Amin
I have been trying to decide between these two cameras myself. I'm also upgrading from a Canon subframe DSLR. I am more than a little conflicted with respect to the 5D Mk II specifications. Twenty one Mpixels means most of my glass will need replacing and possibly my computer as well. If I ever wanted to go Nikon, now's the time.

The convergence of video and photography is both good and bad. Wedding and reportage photographers will probably love the HD video and buy the 5D MkII in large numbers. However, for someone who just takes photos its a significant financial burden to embrace video. Video places more stringent demands on the tripod/head than photography. Video tripods/fluidic heads are several times more expensive than photo equivalents. Video editors capable of editing large HD files are also not cheap (and you thought Photoshop was hard to learn), not to mention massive amounts of processing power, RAM and disk storage to edit/render and store the files. I'm not going to mention the time requirement.

Given the 5D Mk II is a photo, not a video camera, the money spent incorporating HD video should have been put into functions such as a single button mirror lock, good auto ISO and weather sealing; features that are useful to photographers. The good news is you don't have to use the HD video capability, the bad news is you do have to pay for it .

Paul

Last edited: