The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone used either of these backpack/cases?

nikonf

Still looking for the perfect bag or case. (I know - there is no such thing). Has anyone used one of these two?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/368034-REG/Kata_KT_HB_207_HB_207_GDC_Hiker_Backpack.html#features

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/514206-REG/HPRC_AMRE2550WIC_AMRE_2550WIC_Wheeled_Combination.html

I am going to use this as an equipment/travel case for 4x5 and eventually medium format digital equipment.

The equipment will be transferred into dry bags and a backpack for use in Zion National Park and Bryce National Park.

Many thanks,
Mike

O

Oxide Blu

Nope.

This is what I use:

http://www.portercase.com/product_info.php?osCsid=90161ec46bdd4a289ce7e6e5ac473036&products_id=11

It is very well thought out, well built, would take too much bandwidth to describe its features and advantages. Cruise around their website and read. Not cheap.

The only issue I have had is one time being told by the airlines my "carry on" was too heavy and would need to be checked. I popped it open, revealing 3 D/SLRs, lens, photo paraphernalia ... The airlines said "ok" to carry on, too risky to check it in.

Jim Stone

Workshop Member
Mike,

I agree with both Steve and Jack. I have both the Thinktank Airport Security and the Photobacker. I've never tried using the latter on the airlines, but for use in the field it works very well. Very well thought out and well made. I have my entire 4x5 gear in it with perfectly sized interior cases. Bruce is a super nice guy and very helpful. He can/will custom design the interior cases based on YOUR equipment. I'd certainly chat with him for your trip.

The Thinktank is built like a battleship and works very well for air travel. The Airport Security is the largest allowable Domestic carry on.

Just my 2 cents worth. Good luck and remember....You can never have enough bags !! :ROTFL: :ROTFL: And there is NO perfect bag as you already know !! :wtf:

Cheers,

Jim

O

Oxide Blu

If you are just moving camera gear, pretty much anything will be fine. I seldom move only camera, tho. For a wheeled case, nothing from ThinkTank compares with the hard shell Porter Case.

On uneven surfaces, the bigger the wheels, the better. It really does matter! Look at the size of the large wheels on the Porter Case :thumbup:, look at the little wheels on the ThinkTank. :thumbdown:

The more stuff you put in a case, the heavier it gets. You want the center of gravity lower for stability. Every luggage/case manfr puts the handle BELOW :thumbdown: the weight, creating the least stable performance for the case. On the Porter Case the handle is ABOVE :thumbup: the load. It is extremely stable when fully loaded. I have been dragging wheeled cases around the world for 25+ years. Nothing I have ever used, case, luggage, or otherwise is as stable as a Porter Case. The only thing better is a personal Sherpa. :thumbs: :D

The Porter Case is popular with wedding photographers because of all of the other equipment they haul around. Like I said, I seldom travel with only cameras. I got other stuff, other bags. The Porter Case also functions as a dolly that will carry 200-lbs of whatever you want to stack on top of your cameras...protected in a hard shell case. Look again at that link I posted above, see the pic near the bottom. It is the same case acting as a dolly. No other case can do that.

If you just want a wheeled case to move cameras, it would be much less expensive to get Costco Kirkland brand carry on luggage, and design your own internal padding. Kirkland luggage is top quality stuff, and only costs around $110 from Costco, or buy from costco.com. I forget who manfr's the Kirkland brand for Costco but that exact same carry on case retails for around $430 with the mnfr's name on it. Nonetheless, it is not as stable as a Porter Case when rolling, but then neither is any other wheeled case.

ETA: A couple of months ago when I checked in with the airlines I was asked to have my carry on case weighed. With fuel costs, etc, airlines are getting picky about weight, what needs to be checked as "extra baggage" because it generates a surcharge. So, how you carry your cameras and what lens you take, what you want to check in and what you want to carry on may need to be a consideration.

Last edited: