The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gitzo Series 3 or RRS TVC-34 for MF?

cly

If possible I use my Gitzo Series 5 tripod - but I can't say that carrying it makes my happy. So I'm looking for something which isn't as heavy as the Series 5 tripod.

Who has had the chance to compare a RRS TVC-33/34 tripod to a Gitzo Series 3? Is RRS really that good when it comes to damping vibrations and stability?

Chris

kdphotography

Chris,

I have a Gitzo 5541LS that I bought new---right before the new RRS TVC33/34 was announced. I feel your pain---or weight on your shoulders from a Gtizo 5 series and Cube. I still love/use the 5 series, but would much prefer a similarly spec'd RRS TVC33 at about two pounds lighter!! I would swap my 5 series for the RRS TVC33, but really can't justify doing so right now.

I did get the smaller TVC24 as my "travel tripod" and am absolutely satisifed with the RRS build and engineering design. It is exceptionally stable and similar to the reviews, I'd give the nod to the RRS tripod over the Gitzo. I added the leveling base to the TVC24 and will use either a PCL1 panning clamp or the Cube, though would prefer the elusive slimmer profile Arca D4..... The TVC 24 handles the Phase DF/IQ180 easily.

There is typically a wait list for RRS tripods, but they do fill the orders. I'd opt for the RRS tripod....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I just finally got the TVC24L version I had the 3 legged version. Stock was back ordered for several months but I will probably keep this one forever. I really like there tripods, the heads they can keep I really dislike them. I have my cube on mine and nothing moves in the slightest. I'm kind of done with the monster pods. This is a little under rated at 40 lbs if you ask me. I'm pretty much done with Gitzo

cly

Thank you very much, Ken and Guy, much appreciated. It seems that there will be one of those months in which I should avoid a close look at the bank statement :)

Chris

jlm

Workshop Member
mine is the TVC 3X it has two adjusters per leg; (Guy probably meant his version has 3 adjusters per leg, so it will collapse more). the 3 size has nice fat tubes.

problems:
the hook for hanging a weight is too small and too tight to the top, needs two carabiners to get your bag in there
make sure you have two 3/16" allen wrenches in your kit so you can tighten the leg pivots, as mine loosened up

when I ordered it, it was listed out of stock, but it shipped in a week

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The gitzo is a very serviceable tripod and I really find nothing I do not like about it.
I have two, the 3541 and 3541L.
Very sturdy, well damped, and fairly easy to field-strip and clean when necessary.
I find nothing about the rrs tripods that would make them worth their greater price except id esthetics are important to you.
I have never seen any sort of objective comparison in any of the dimensions that make a difference photographically.
-bob

jlm

Workshop Member
i changed out my Gitzo (7-8 yrs old) for the Versa, but only because my G-1327 Mk II had 1-1/4 legs and an adjustable center column and the TVC 3X has 1-7/16 legs and a fixed center plate, about the same ht

Gitzo comparable to Versa: ($1,100 gitzo price) (didn't see leg diameter though)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...T5532LS_GT5532LS_6x_3_SECTION_SYSTEMATIC.html

I had no real complaints about the Gitzo, though the Versa claims it has a more foolproof center plate lock than the fixed column Gitzos

Last edited:

kdphotography

....I had no real complaints about the Gitzo, though the Versa claims it has a more foolproof center plate lock than the fixed column Gitzos
There is an available safety plate from Naturescapes at B&H that addresses the center plate lock issue (yup, happened to me, but luckily in my hands and no damage) which is a worthwhile purchase for the Gitzo 3 and 5 series tripod. This is an easily addressed potential shortcoming---but I think may have been addressed by the very latest Gitzo offerings.

The RRS TVC24 certainly doesn't have this issue and is a better design than the Gitzo (at the time). I also like the click-lock legs offered by the RRS tripod; both tripods are at the top of their game, but it's those little things that make me like the RRS just a tad more.

cly

I have two, the 3541 and 3541L.
Very sturdy, well damped, and fairly easy to field-strip and clean when necessary.
I find nothing about the rrs tripods that would make them worth their greater price except id esthetics are important to you.
-bob
Currently, I have a Series 2 and a Series 5 (the giant model) which is irreplacable when working in, e.g., a stairwell. I prefer the weight of the Series 2 but it is not sturdy enough. I take the Series 5 when I'm off to a job but I need something between the 2 and the 5 for less 'serious' stuff or when I have to carry everything over longer distances.

Going by web images, I don't like the shiny surface of the RRS tripods (to me it looks like 'hello, I'm really expensive stuff' :). I have quite a few of their clamps and plates - expensive too but no doubt I'd buy them again.

A big thank you to all who responded to my question!

Chris

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am tall and none of the RRS pods have legsets long enough, so my Gitzo 3541XLS remains my main pod. For a lighter alternative, I use the Feizol 3441T at half the price of Gitzo/RRS and still very high quality AND folds like a traveller. My big pod is the Gitzo carbon fiber 5 series Giant that extends to about 3 meters.

darr

I am a shortie, 5'3" and purchased Guy's TVC-23. It should be delivered later today. That tripod was on my short list so when Guy recently put it up for sale, I grabbed it. :)

I have 4 Gitzos--2 too many. I recently purchased a 3 series system legset, but will probably sell it. The TVC-23 will be replacing my Gitzo Traveler 1541 with the RRS 40 head. While on a recent outing, I felt I needed stronger legs to hold my Max and DB, but when I took it to Iceland in 2009, it was a pleasure to use.

Jack since you are too tall for the RRS models, I wonder what Don Libby uses?

Last edited:

darr

I am sure it will be fine Guy. I was going to send you a "Thank You" anyway. :)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I did replace the top piece with a new one for ya and its all setup to put head on and go shoot.

For a lighter alternative, I use the Feizol 3441T at half the price of Gitzo/RRS and still very high quality AND folds like a traveller.
I second the Feisol as an alternative. After reading Jack's review about his 3441T, I bought the CT-3472 to compare against my ageing Gizto. I sold the Gitzo and kept the Feisol.

A

alainD

I am tall and none of the RRS pods have legsets long enough, so my Gitzo 3541XLS remains my main pod. For a lighter alternative, I use the Feizol 3441T at half the price of Gitzo/RRS and still very high quality AND folds like a traveller. My big pod is the Gitzo carbon fiber 5 series Giant that extends to about 3 meters.
Hi

When do you take you're 3541XLS and does it make a difference against the 3441T?

I have an old alu and heavy Gitzo tripod. Having a "good" light tripod would be nice. I notice that the Feisol is much lighter that the Gitzo 3541XLS.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hi

When do you take you're 3541XLS and does it make a difference against the 3441T?

I have an old alu and heavy Gitzo tripod. Having a "good" light tripod would be nice. I notice that the Feisol is much lighter that the Gitzo 3541XLS.
I haver both but am generally happier with the Gitzo 3541 (not xls)
I probably will be putting my Feisol on the block when I get home.
It is much squirmier than the gitzo and the lack of "g-lock" has been sorely missed.
I do not recommend it for any serious critical-sharpness use unless if you are using it with a wide.
-bob