The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gitzo Series 3 or RRS TVC-34 for MF?

NotXorc

I do not recommend it for any serious critical-sharpness use unless if you are using it with a wide.
-bob
Critical sharpness is a tripod's raison d'être. So, does your caution apply to other models? I'm short and usually photograph where the land is flat, so I was considering the shorter (by 6") Feisol 3441S w/ RAL. Perhaps the height difference would improve stability.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Critical sharpness is a tripod's raison d'être. So, does your caution apply to other models? I'm short and usually photograph where the land is flat, so I was considering the shorter (by 6") Feisol 3441S w/ RAL. Perhaps the height difference would improve stability.
Mass, rigidity, damping, and low center of gravity are all good things on a tripod.
Legs if they are tubular, are much more rigid if they have larger diameters.
Carbon fiber usually is better damped than aluminum and much better than steel.
I guess one of my beefs with the fiesol is the relatively small diameter of its plate to which the legs attach. and the relatively small diameter of its legs. Although it is fairly ridgid to compressive forces, it tends to ring (side to side) torsionally when perturbed by wind. I love its case and it is very compact, but just not the right combination of features for me.
Of course something shorter might be better but nothing replaces beefiness.
One more thing, ANY tripod is better than none at all, so you have several dimensions of tradeoffs to deal with. My main spec was that it fit in a standard 24 inch suitcase. Others have mentioned carry-on airline possibilities. I have been blocked twice from carrying-on tripods, once at JFK and once in Brussels. I therefore always pack my legs.
-bob

gazwas

Has anyone seen/played/purchased one of the new Gitzo 4 series carbon tripods?

The 4 series has the new design triangular top casting that is of the same size as the 3 series but with the added benefit of having much larger diameter carbon legs tubes to the 3 series. Gitzo have also changed the top plate mounting so is more secure and can't fall out accidentally as was criticised of the old Systematic range. Sounds like a perfect tripod to me as I'm really interested in the giant version but have not seen one in the flesh.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I'm thinking it's time to replace my 10 year old Gitzo G1348 (mk2 CF). The leg locks are worn to where I've lately had them slip on me despite being tightened down well. One day it'll be my kit going off a cliff! I never really liked the leg locks anyway (they rotate freely which is annoying to say the least) so I'm thinking replace the pod rather than replace whatever part is worn.

The RRS pods look quite nice. What would be a good substitute... the 24L? I see they have a leveling base for the 2 series - anyone tried it?

kdphotography

Hi Jan,

I have the RRS leveling base on my RRS TVC-24. Easy to adjust and fast enough, though nothing as simple or fast as the Cube. My TVC-24 is my "travel tripod" as it fits easily well-packed into a suitcase, is lightweight (a feather compared to my Gitzo 5541LS!) and provides a stable platform for my DF or tech camera. At present I don't use a head on my TVC-24. I use the RRS leveling base and the RRS PCL-1 panning clamp only, which provides a light, low-profile tripod. I wanted a slimmer Arca D4 head (versus Cube, which just seems slightly too bulky for the TVC-24) but Arca just seems to tease, tease, tease....

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm thinking it's time to replace my 10 year old Gitzo G1348 (mk2 CF). The leg locks are worn to where I've lately had them slip on me despite being tightened down well. One day it'll be my kit going off a cliff! I never really liked the leg locks anyway (they rotate freely which is annoying to say the least) so I'm thinking replace the pod rather than replace whatever part is worn.

The RRS pods look quite nice. What would be a good substitute... the 24L? I see they have a leveling base for the 2 series - anyone tried it?
Have the 24L absolutely love it. It's taller than me at that is awesome for interior work and such. It's my everything pod. Don't really need anything else.