The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fotoman Rangefinder

Don Libby

Got a friend just about to get his first tech camera and I'm looking for the old Fotoman Aulx Rangefinder.

Anyone remember these?

Don

darr

Don, I had one I used with a Fotoman 617 many moons ago. I found it to be pretty accurate. Midwest Photo was a source for them in the past. I sold mine with the camera and lenses to a guy in England that I think is still using it. You could easily use it without the Fotoman camera.

Darr

Don Libby

Bob - that's the one. I bought one shortly after Guy sold his.

Darr - thank-you

I've been using a combination of the Fotoman and a Leica D5 with my WRS.

Okay time to fess up and say it's Ken who after listening to me for the past 4-years has decided to get a WRS. Just found out the US side of Fotoman closed their doors a couple years ago and no one has any of these little jewels left in stock. Fotoman website hasn't been updated in years.

On the bright side I got a PM form another member offering to sell his so Ken better get off the stick and buy the dang thing otherwise I will just to have a spare.

Many thanks to the great family here.

Don

Going off the air shortly as we have a haboob coming our way....

jfvdenning

Hi Darr

I do still have the Fotoman you sold me! It's a great camera and have got many great shots with it and i have taken it everywhere with me, 40,000 miles and counting. I am actually searching for a shift adapter for it now which is how I cam across this post.

Sadly Fotoman in china don't make the rangefinders anymore, from time to time they appear on ebay.

Jason

Don, I had one I used with a Fotoman 617 many moons ago. I found it to be pretty accurate. Midwest Photo was a source for them in the past. I sold mine with the camera and lenses to a guy in England that I think is still using it. You could easily use it without the Fotoman camera.

Darr

darr

Hi Jason!
Wow, it sounds like you and the Fotoman are a great match. I went over to your site and looked at your work; absolutely stunning!! I hope you are able to locate a shift adapter. If I come across one, I will definitely let you know. All the best to you!

Kind regards,
Darr

Oren Grad

Okay time to fess up and say it's Ken who after listening to me for the past 4-years has decided to get a WRS. Just found out the US side of Fotoman closed their doors a couple years ago and no one has any of these little jewels left in stock. Fotoman website hasn't been updated in years.
Just catching up on this thread... If you or your friend are still looking for one, email Paul Droluk and see whether he still has any of them in stock:

Fotoman Camera Specials

It may take a few days, but he should respond. He still has a few Fotoman components on hand - I recently bought a focusing helical from him.

jfvdenning

Thanks Darr, Yes we are a great match, I am actually placing an order no with Fotoman china for some more cones and to get a 58mm lens on it, sadly they don't make the 617 anymore as they have gone towards digital backs now.

Jason

Hi Jason!
Wow, it sounds like you and the Fotoman are a great match. I went over to your site and looked at your work; absolutely stunning!! I hope you are able to locate a shift adapter. If I come across one, I will definitely let you know. All the best to you!

Kind regards,
Darr

kdphotography

gotta ask..wats a haboob?
I actually thought Don was having trouble pronouncing hookah, but figured it really was just a reference to a nasty sandstorm as there's no way a smoking tube is long enough to reach up to Don... :D

Btw, the Fotoman site has one auxiliary rangefinder left on special---$135. Pretty neat device....thanks to my co-enablers. :thumbup:

ken