The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Removing Glass from B+W filter...

johnastovall

Deceased, but remembered fondly here...
Well, I have found my 55mm IR-cut filter will touch the front element of my Canon 50/1.2. I'm going to get a B+H haze filter to make a stand off ring with.

Now the question, what's the best way to get the Glass out without damaging the filter ring and it's threads?

Never mind... Just found Kirk makes a 55mm to 55mm male to female adapter ring...

johnastovall

Bump this back up. Kirk no long has what I need.

How should one remove the glass from a B+W haze filter?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
IIRC, B+W filters have a snap ring that needs to be popped out and you have to look closely to find the gap on the ring. I use a small machine pick to pry out one end then work my way around until it is out completely, then the glass drops out. Unfortunately the B+W also have a fairly large -- relative to other filters -- inner lip to retain said glass and this narrows the throat some for use as an extender.

OTOH, a cheap Tiffen filter has a screw retainer that is easy to remove and would leave you with a less expensive alternative.

FWIW, I go through my local dealer's el-cheapo used filter bins every now and then and pick up old UV filters in my most used sizes for around $2 each -- just a thought :)

johnastovall

Oh, for a local dealer... Nearest is 120 miles away... If WalMart doesn't have it, it's the web for me....

I'll give the Tiffen a go.

Anything special needed to unscrew the Tiffen.

Last edited:

Ben Rubinstein

It's dead easy, I did this with a couple of cheap filters. What you do is put the filter in a clamp then take a small hammer and smash the glass. All the bits fall out, wipe out the ring to make sure there are no glass particles and bob's your uncle...

johnastovall

Thanks to everyone's help and suggestions I now have my cut filter on the Canon 50/1.2. The cheap Tiffen came apart quickly with the tools Stephen send me and now life is good. I need to go out and do some shooting...