The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new macbook pro retina display... no firewire !

Lars

None of the reviews so far mention the technical aspects of the new display panel - bit depth, color gamut. I'd say there is still a fair chance it's an 8-bit panel. Almost all TN panels are 6-bit but for IPS it might be different. The IPS panels that Dell and HP use for their high end workstation laptops are 10-bit per channel, whereas HP used a (quite poor) 6-bit panel in their latest Envy 15 consumer series.

Stefan Steib

Well it´s nice to see that Belkin will do a dock that will also do firewire 800, but 399,-$ + 49 $ for a cable to get back something that was included before for free ???

And pardon my maybe naive question - but wasn´t this Notebook supposed to be THAT expensive because it´s so slim and light ? Hmmm, but is it still slim and light when I have to additionally carry a big fat adapter with me that looks like being about 3x as thick as the old macbook pro and probably also weighs 1-2 pounds ?

???? Does this make any sense ????

Regards
Stefan

Terry

Stefan- clearly it doesn't meet your needs but that doesn't invalidate the machine or concept. I don't need to plug into Ethernet, I don't have any more FireWire devices, etc. if you need all of that they still exist on the non retina machines. Apple moves on with technology, the pushed out floppy drives, pushed it wifi, pushed out DVD, etc. I don't think your needs are very mainstream.

Lars

There's also plenty of USB3 options for network, firewire etc. I believe the MBP Retina has USB3?

adhc

For a while, people thought the Macbook revolved around us.

Turns out, we revolve around the Macbook.

:)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
They do sell a 20 dollar Ethernet cable which I still use and would want. Instead of the new belkin box all I would need myself is maybe a USB 3 hub for less than 30 dollars. They do also have a FireWire 800 cable coming soon for 20 same as the Ethernet. With this model your buying the thinnest model around , some things would naturally not work going this thin but like photography they have workarounds. They also have the current MBP that we have today configured exactly like the Retina that has Ethernet and FireWire still built in. You get a choice.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>You definItely want the new Ethernet cable. The old USB2 connection was horribly slow.

I ordered that too. The USB2 with 100/10 was slower than WiFi I think.

Guy Mancuso

Actually they both have USB 3 now which really helps costs for the small stuff like card readers which I already bought one of those . But backup drives that don't need the T bolt speed and expense the USB 3 externals are a nice cheap option. I ordered a 3tb Go. Flex this morning just for like 3rd backup style just need to write to it than store it. I do have a T Bolt Pegasus 4tb drive running Raid 0 as a working drive that is as fast as my SSD . So I'm getting ready. Lol

ustein

Contributing Editor
> T Bolt Pegasus 4tb drive running Raid 0

With no critical data at Raid 0?

How loud is the fan?

Guy Mancuso

Not bad at all. I always back up manually to another drive any real data like Raws and finals. So if it ever crashed I'm covered. I love the Pegasus around 500mbs either way. When you work with laptops with no big internals this certainly helps. I keep a years worth on it than delete from bottom up when I start getting full

Guy Mancuso

I'm really after the extra T bolt plug and USB3. My laptop is very fast with 6g SSD , 16gbs of ram and a spinning drive for backup in the optical bay. So performance wise I'll only get 20 percent which is not much. I'll probably sell mine here soon so it's a nice laptop early 2011 model. It's got a dent so it will be a cheap purchase for someone.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
None of the reviews so far mention the technical aspects of the new display panel - bit depth, color gamut. I'd say there is still a fair chance it's an 8-bit panel. Almost all TN panels are 6-bit but for IPS it might be different. The IPS panels that Dell and HP use for their high end workstation laptops are 10-bit per channel, whereas HP used a (quite poor) 6-bit panel in their latest Envy 15 consumer series.
I suppose it's possible, since IPS panels require less backlight, but the issue has always been power consumption - a 6 bit display of any type consumes less energy. Battery life is extremely high on Apple's priority list, so I"m not sure they would sacrifice any battery life for a slight incremental improvement in color rendition that only a minuscule few of their user base cared about. Is anyone using 8 bit panels in portables?

Stefan Steib

Well Terry

I thought this is the MF forum - so anybody using a MF back should have the same problem ? So regarding the place of the posting I think it is VERY Mainstream.

And I know that Apple does change whatever they want to change. It is just making me feel misused again , as all the dealers and all the Manufacturers will have to deal with the customers calls again (of course for free) all claiming it does not work and "your" product is faulty.

What a big fun........... Sorry I will laugh later.

Regards
Stefan

Stefan- clearly it doesn't meet your needs but that doesn't invalidate the machine or concept. I don't need to plug into Ethernet, I don't have any more FireWire devices, etc. if you need all of that they still exist on the non retina machines. Apple moves on with technology, the pushed out floppy drives, pushed it wifi, pushed out DVD, etc. I don't think your needs are very mainstream.

Terry

Well Terry

I thought this is the MF forum - so anybody using a MF back should have the same problem ? So regarding the place of the posting I think it is VERY Mainstream.

And I know that Apple does change whatever they want to change. It is just making me feel misused again , as all the dealers and all the Manufacturers will have to deal with the customers calls again (of course for free) all claiming it does not work and "your" product is faulty.

What a big fun........... Sorry I will laugh later.

Regards
Stefan
We will just disagree. I believe users have options. If firewire 800 is needed use connector, ethernet use connector cable or buy non retina. USB3 is more helpful for other peripherals in the future than firewire 800. There is nothing here that should not have been predictable from looking at what Intel was building into their chips.

Stefan Steib

OK- the next time someone calls me and asks for help with a nonfunctioning Back I just tell him : well you have options.........

You live in the marketing world - I live in the real support world.

Regards
Stefan

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
The machine works for me.
All the connectivity I need except firewire now, that be in July.
I already have a TB to firewire adapter lying around so I can use that in the interim.
For me it was 16GB of memory that was the tipping point.
-bob