The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

new macbook pro retina display... no firewire !

Ben Rubinstein

I know what Stefan means. At the moment we are having severe problems with running our Leaf back with our PC even using the firewire card recommended on the P1 website and using the Leaf firewire repeater. When I asked Yair what laptop Leaf would guarantee would not cause me problems with the back he said that Leaf cannot guarantee any computer to be problem free with their backs. However most have told me that macs will be fine. Now however when you are running via adapters, I'll bet that backs so sensitive to any inconsistencies in the firewire connection are going to start becoming seriously problematic. The marriage between digital backs and firewire is IMO going to start becoming somewhat fractious in the future...

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have no experience with leaf so I can't say, but I have been tethering with an air with firewire adapter using an IQ180 for nearly a year with no issues other than occasional user stupidity. That time I left the adapter at home :ROTFL:
-bob

Stefan Steib

Sorry if this was too personal Terry, not meant to be !

but to the point: Which options ?
Right now there are None, in 2 months there MAY be some, nobody has seen it working, nobody knows how the powersupply will be on the adapters, so maybe you will even have to go from the adapter to a firewire power supply (second box, another pair of plugs and soldered connections that may fail..............

In theory Apple is always the white knight on the white horse saving the world. In real life the people trying to support this will tell you - some - stories of bombastic failures and misconceptions.

That said, I am a nearly 25 year of usage Apple user and certified trainer, well connected to apple and having plenty of friends working for their support. There is a surface (the marketing bubble that works perfectly) and there is the real world (YES - they can not walk on water, believe it or not)

The brand is adorable and professionally made and managed. But sometimes , as said before in the thread, you have to hate them.

regards
Stefan

Paul2660

Bob, if I can ask.

Which brand Thunderbolt to firewire adapter are you using when tethered to your IQ180?

That sounds like a great combination. I love the current air, but have always wished it would go to 8GB, of course the new models do.

Thanks
Paul

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Bob, if I can ask.

Which brand Thunderbolt to firewire adapter are you using when tethered to your IQ180?

That sounds like a great combination. I love the current air, but have always wished it would go to 8GB, of course the new models do.

Thanks
Paul
I reported on the setup here:
http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/376169-post1.html
Ultimately I will prefer the apple adapter if anything for size alone providing that it works well.
-bob

Stefan Steib

Hi Bob

Interesting - but again, nobody knows about stability and as you sure know theses are 3 adapters in a row - 6 connection plugs and 3 different circuits that may fail. I would not like to bet my life on this in the field.

Regards
Stefan

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Bob

Interesting - but again, nobody knows about stability and as you sure know theses are 3 adapters in a row - 6 connection plugs and 3 different circuits that may fail. I would not like to bet my life on this in the field.

Regards
Stefan
Yes, fewer connections are better, but this has been very stable for me. gaffer tape works pretty well.
Of course I do not have a large sample size.
Last month when I was at Schloss Hohenkammer I should have showed it to you.
-bob

Terry

Stefan,
Whatever someone has today that works for their tethering won't stop working because a new laptop was released.

adamduckworth

So the new Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter...

Will this let me tether a P40+ to a Macbook Air?

I already use a 800 to 400 adapter to tether it to my Macbook Pro.

So I'd have to use 400 to 800 to Thunderbolt?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
So the new Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter...

Will this let me tether a P40+ to a Macbook Air?

I already use a 800 to 400 adapter to tether it to my Macbook Pro.

So I'd have to use 400 to 800 to Thunderbolt?
I have used FW 400/800 cables with a 400 connector at one end and an 800 at the other so essentially the whole cable was the adapter to FW800.
That is what I used for awhile when I was shooting with the P45+.
Then you would plug that into the FW800 adapter of your choice
I have ONLY tested this with an IQ180 and the Sonnet adapter so it may or may not work for your needs.
-bob

stephengilbert

Stefan,

What difference does all this make? Haven't you warned us several times that MF is dead or almost so?

Just use your "MF" cell phone, and don't bother with a laptop.

Steve

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Stefan,

What difference does all this make? Haven't you warned us several times that MF is dead or almost so?

Just use your "MF" cell phone, and don't bother with a laptop.

Steve
:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

tashley

Subscriber Member
I've ordered a fully pimped one, 2.7/16/512 (ok not FULLY pimped, I don't spring for the larger drive) and I think I might have buyer's remorse already - I want it for travel and I find my current (2009) MPB a bit too heavy. Should I have ordered a fully pimped 13" air I wonder? Will it handle D800 files quickly and smoothly? My current MBPro (only 4 gig RAM and a 500 gig spin drive) is slooooow. The new one is going to take over a month to arrive during which time I'm going to be driving from Seattle to Chicago on a photo jaunt. Should I cancel and get the air? Camera decisions are sooo much easier..

Hmmm...

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Short mental break here on serious deadline , book out the door by morning. ButI did go to the Apple store at 10 am this morning from return from airport. The screens really really nice . Colors looked great. None in stock but i was prepared to go full banana since that is what the store would carry which is the 728 gb hard drive which I don't need but 3799 model. Than I looked at the regularMacPro my unit only early 2011 of course they had in stock the same specs i wanted in Retina 2.7/8gb of ram and 1tB drive. Now the key factor here was in fact it is USB 3 same 2 ports. Which is what I was after anyway. I have a 2.3 unit so I will pick up some speed but not really what I was after i wanted USB 3 and it still has built in ethernet and firewire 800 and a Tbolt port like mine does. Quick check with OWC 16gb of ram for it 180 dollars. Nice price. I walked out with it and i will take my SSD drive put in main bay than take the optical bracket in mine put 1TB drive in it for backup travel and backup OS which I like having so no small external to carry around. Basically i saved with ram over 1k. Now if the powerhouse Retina was there on the spot, I may have bought it but bottom line I am almost always connected to a 30 inch monitor and when on road I rent a monitor , so it would not be often enough to make a big difference. Yes mine is heavier and bigger but Im no freaking mouse of a guy anyway. LOL

Here is a case i went after the functionality of the box more than what I already have which maybe 20 percent slower not enough to buy for. I wanted a lock too which is important to me , if it buys me a extra minute sitting in a room than harder to steal. Ill be up on Monday to busy to play with it till than. okay back to the grind have fun. Go buy **** make the economy better. LOL

Zerimar

Just went into my local apple store to check out the new MBP

My experience:

The screen was nice, but not THAT amazing compared to my 15 inch MBP with the high res antiglare display. It seems to have that crispness that an iPad has about it, but again, it is not that groundbreaking.

As for processing speed, ram, ports:

I have a 2.66ghz i7 chip with 8gb of ram in my 2010 mbp.. so nothing to gain personally, nice to have and I know it handles phase one files with ease.

It has less ports, despite them being faster, but how much of a difference will it make in actual usage? If you are going to copy over massive amounts of data you will be limited by the write speed of whatever the device is, thus making and future SSD backup devices quick to transfer to, as of now FW800 hard drives will work just as well (have a 3.5" SATA drive reader thats FW800, a Thunderbolt one of these may be great to have in the future)

The computer is noticeably light, and thin compared to the older models.

Final impression was that it's a great computer and you're looking for something new or need a laptop, it's a great choice. As a user that bought a maxed out machine in 2010, it is not that significantly better than mine (2.66 ghz i7, 8gb of ram, SSD boot and removed optical drive for 500GB HD) it isn't worth the upgrade.

gerald.d

I have a 2.66ghz i7 chip with 8gb of ram in my 2010 mbp.. so nothing to gain personally, nice to have and I know it handles phase one files with ease.
I don't get this.

Is it really the case that the processor in the new MBP isn't any faster than the one from 2 years ago?

Really?

Valentin

Keep in mind that there is no software to take advantage of that new display. You can't use the highest resolution available. It will take a while for companies to update their software (including Apple).

The highest resolution available to the user is 1900x1200 (right now).

Terry

I don't get this.

Is it really the case that the processor in the new MBP isn't any faster than the one from 2 years ago?

Really?
I think the mistake is the i7 in 2010 was a duo-core and now they are quad cores. So, yes it is faster. Quad core i7's made their way to the MBP in 2011.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The Cache has increased also to 8MB and yes quad core is a big difference when raw processing especially in C1. Ram is faster now as well. A lot of this will depend on you the user if your shooting thousands of images and heavy on processing and photoshop than you really could use the horsepower. I need a portable workhorse as i will shoot 8k images in 3 days process everyone of them and use them for prints , web, on screen and all that. Most folks could get away with a macBook Air 13 inch and be happy as hell. Honestly most people don't need to be dumping thousands of dollars on a laptop as they just don't need it. Myself I also look outside the computer itself and all the things i can connect to it as well. T bolt for me has been awesome some will wonder whats the point. Just depends on needs. I wanted the Retina but logic said this was a better option right now. I guess the Retina will come to this also if your using that screen all the time than it makes more sense, if 20 percent of the time like me than maybe not worth it or at least the premium for it