The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca C1 Cube clamp problem

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I just got a C1 cube... but none of my RRS or Kirk plates fit in the clamp. (Not a single one!) No L brackets, no camera plates, no lens plates, not even my focusing rail will fit in it. I can open and close the clamp just fine and it locks in place when closed. The instructions tell me to to adjust the jaw tension with the thumb wheel inside the lever, but nothing I do seems to have any effect at all. The thumb wheel spins freely.

Anyone had the same problem? Did I get a defective unit?

Has anyone replaced the annoying lever clamp with a normal RRS/Kirk screw clamp? (I avoid lever clamps exactly because of adjustment hassles like this.) I can't find any way to get it off.

Finally, the geared controls are really tight and the +/- wheels have no effect at all. Don't think it would be easy to operate with gloves on a cold morning...

The only other Arca product I bought was a B1 ballhead, which while attached to the tripod in the back of my car worked itself into a million little pieces and I spent an hour trying to reassemble the thing so I could at least shoot something. It lasted a week or so. Needless to say I'm hoping the C1 won't be a repeat experience. $1600 is a little much to just flush down the toilet.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Very cool, thanks for the pointer!!!

I took off Arca's supershitty failclamp, and ordered an RRS B2 Pro clamp (with the M6 screw) to replace it. Turns out Arca dripped some red threadloc or sealant in the hex slot - it wasn't obvious I could just use a hex key to remove it when I briefly examined it earlier today.

woodyspedden

Very cool, thanks for the pointer!!!

I took off Arca's supershitty failclamp, and ordered an RRS B2 Pro clamp (with the M6 screw) to replace it. Turns out Arca dripped some red threadloc or sealant in the hex slot - it wasn't obvious I could just use a hex key to remove it when I briefly examined it earlier today.
Jan

You will love the Cube with the B2 Clamp. I have been using this combination for about three years and have never looked back. This is my Tripod head for life I believe

Woody

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I bet you're right Woody; it feels nice in general (though slightly stiff to adjust). Do you use yours with a leveling base?

Don Libby

I've been using a Cube for almost as long as my Cambo and never changed the head until just recently. I found it was getting more difficult to open the clamp with cold or wet fingers and upgraded to a RRS B2 Pro II. Very pleased with the result.

Don

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Just put on the B2 Pro II... Yep, yep, yep. This is how it's done right.

Going to try it with the Acratech leveling base. It will be nice if it's stable enough with it. I'm not putting anything particularly heavy on it after all, so it's mainly wind I'm concerned with.

Don Libby

I used to have the Acratech leveling base and ballhead until I bought the Cube and ended up selling both. I've found the Cube to be so easy and fast in setting up and leveling my WRS that I simply didn't need anything else.

Don

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Yeah, still debating whether it's worth having a leveling base with it. It IS nice to be able to pan without the horizon moving... on occasion.

fotophil

I have used a Gitzo leveling head with my Cube for several years - it does add a little weight but I like working the Cube from a level surface so the Cube adjustments are easier.