The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Arca D4 & RRS BP2-Pro II

Don Libby

Just a simple question - will a RRS BP2-Pro II clamp fit? I know it does on my Cube. And yes I ordered one as hiking alternative to the heaver tripod/Cube.

Don

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I have a D4 with the arcs screw clamp whic I like a lot.
it has both grooves that will fit arca/rrs plate as well as a arca slidefix. the knob is not too big and it has become my favorite clamp.
-bob

Don Libby

Thanks Bob - The one I have coming has the Monoball Slidefix. No other option was available - looking/thinking ahead and figure if the RRS works so well on my Cube it should work just as well on the D4. So long as it fits.

Don

ccroft

Here's a snapshot that should give you a pretty good idea what to expect. The RRS clamp I put on my D$ is listed 50 mm jaw. I think the one you want is listed 60mm, so it should match the top platform of the head very nicely. The corners will overhang the round platform a little more, but they're nice and soft on the RRS clamps.

I wouldn't know if Arca uses the same screw on sidefix as the Arca classic that came with my D$, but I was able to re-use the Arca screw. The RRS M6 screw was a couple mm too long. A belt sander would make pretty quick work of that if the sidefix screw doesn't work.

If you get the same screw you're all set. You'll just need a 3.5mm hex wrench, if memory serves.

Hope you like your config as much as I like mine.

Don Libby

Charles, many thanks for the photo and information. Just found that I still have 2-3 weeks as it is on back-order. Hopefully I'll have it before I leave on my next trip. Which model plate is on the head in the photo?

Don

Don Libby

I kept used the clamp that came with my Cube for many years until earlier this year. I found I was shooting more and more in a cold, wet environment and often had problems opening the latch without removing my gloves. Having had a touch of frostbite in my hands from years ago they are very susceptible to the cold. Don't know why it took me so long to change heads to the BP2 screw but I've very pleased I did. That said, that's what I figured I'd immediately change to just as soon as I receive the D4.

My first order from Robert White and they tell me afterwards that it would be a 2-3 week wait. Oh well.....

Don

PeterL

Don,
Why not keep the MonoballFix? I understand if you have a large investment in "old" style Arca plates for many cameras, it can be expensive, but the new MonoballFix is pretty slick I think. The newer style plates have a lower profile, but provides plenty of grip and is super easy to use. I got the D4m from Robert White as well. Be aware of a "brokers fee" to get it through US Customs . UPS charged me an additional $32, on top of the shipping fee of £30 :-(.

Cheers, -Peter

Don Libby

Thanks Peter. I've got a trip planned in less than 6 weeks which will keep me away for slightly more than 2-months. I hope Robert White can fill the order before I leave. Even with the additional brokers fee of $32 it's still a good if not better buy than any where I've see. There's a guy selling a "new" D4 on E-Bay and asking $1800! Even with the additional brokers fees and international bank fees I'm still well ahead of the game.

Now I just want the dang thing to get here as one of the first places I'll be going requires a 3+ mile walk and I plan to be shooting near if not in some very cold water.

Don

woodyspedden

I have a D4 with the arcs screw clamp whic I like a lot.
it has both grooves that will fit arca/rrs plate as well as a arca slidefix. the knob is not too big and it has become my favorite clamp.
-bob
Hey Bob

I remember that you used the Arca Swiss Clamp for a long time (or at least I believe you did)

What encouraged you to change to the D4?

Thanks

Woody

RodK

Actually a D4 with a Monoball fix has a shorter screw than those equipped with a Classic or Fliplock QR. It is a thinner mount plate on the QR.
Some of the US dealers do have D4's in stock I believe.
Usually Classic or Fliplock.

Don Libby

Just got an email saying the D4 is heading to AZ. With any luck I should have it by the end of the week.