The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Slide scanners

DaveO

I was looking at all the boxes of slides I have taken over the years and decided I should scan them and put them on my computer. I have looked at two models on the internet; the Ion Omni Scan stand alone image and slide scanner for $ 129 that outputs to an sd card and the Plustek 7600i film and slide scanner for $ 281. The Plustek comes with software and can automatically remove dust and scratches. The Ion only does brute scans and does not have any adjustments.
Does anyone have any experience or insight with either one of these? I don't want a flatbed scanner since they are slower to use and more expensive. Of course, they do medium format, which I have slides and negatives in 120.

Don't know a thing about the two scanners that you mentioned (sorry) but can relate my thinking, choices and experience doing the same job that you outlined for yourself.

Scanning can take a long time so I wanted a pretty decent scanner so as not to waste my time doing it. Picked up a used Minolta elite 5400 for 35mm and was very pleased with the results. And while this scanner is more than the ones that you identified, I viewed it as a rental. Buy good used, do the job and sell off when you are finished. Probably no more expensive than buying a lesser scanner and giving it away later.

For the 120, I used a good flatbed which I already had for other purposes... an Epson v700. Worked very well.

Now all my old family images are scanned with a good enough quality that they don't have to be rescanned later. A relief to have the task behind me and in a position to create books of childhood images for my kids. Can be a big job, but worth the effort. Good luck.

camping

you might look through some previous discussions on this topic on this site.

The interesting idea raised is to use a slide copier - photographic and take digital photos of the slides.

Paul

DaveO

I just found my Nikon 3T and 4T close up lenses. I put the 3T on my 105mm micro f/2.8 AIS lens with my D 80 and saw that it was just about perfect for taking a picture of my slides
Unfortunately, the D 80 will not meter with the AIS lens. I might just try by trial and error to get a good exposure. Now, I just need a light box for illumination. I looked at the Artograph light boxes. Does anyone know if the new LED boxes are better than the old light tube ones. I may have an old one somewhere, just can't find it yet.
Guess I will have to use my tripod also.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Get yourself a used quality scanner on ebay. Use it for your project, then sell it. Total cost will be about the same as a cheapo flatbed, but results will be miles better.

DaveO

Get yourself a used quality scanner on ebay. Use it for your project, then sell it. Total cost will be about the same as a cheapo flatbed, but results will be miles better.
I have never bought anything off of ebay. I have always been afraid of the product being much worse than advertised. It is an idea, however, because it would cost a fortune to send them out to be scanned.

DaveO

Jan
I looked on Ebay and there was a Nikon Coolscan IV ED LS 40 slide and film scanner for sale for $ 200 at the moment. It had a crack across the top as if it had been dropped. Since I am not a member of Ebay, I was not able to post a question to the seller. I wanted to know if it had the slide carrier and film carrier with it. It worried me that it had probably been dropped which might affect how it works.

DaveO

you might look through some previous discussions on this topic on this site.

The interesting idea raised is to use a slide copier - photographic and take digital photos of the slides.

Paul
I did a search on slide scanning and slide copying and there just is not a lot of posts about these subjects. There are actually a lot of posts, but now much of interest.

DaveO

I ordered an Artograph light pad yesterday to use when I try to copy slides. It is LED model and supposedly has much more even light than the old type light pads. I just got the cheapest, which was 6" x 9". Should be here in a few days. I will have to use my 105mm Micro Nikor AIS lens since It is the only one with the 55mm filter threads to the Nikon 3T close up lens. I do have a Nikon 28-105mm that has macro focus, but not quite close enough.
If this set up does not work very well, I will have to consider a slide scanner.