The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just lost 5 pounds

Don Libby

Okay I didn't really loose it - I know exactly where it is....

My primary tripod is a Gitzo GT5540LS with a Arca Swiss Cube sitting on top. This has been my rock solid system for several years. The only drawback is it's heavy weighing in at just shy of 10 pounds. Not too bad if I don't have to carry it long distances.

I've been working on getting a good lightweight system for when I'm out beyond a mile. I picked up a Feisol CT-3442 last year just before I made a trip to Utah using it successfully along with a combination of an Acratech leveling base and Really Right Stuff PCL-1 B. Ultra lightweight system weighing in at less than 5 pounds. The drawback is it isn't geared thus slower and less accurate than what I want.

Now however I have a Arca Swiss D4 sitting on top of the Feisol which gives me a total weight of slightly more than what I had previously but 5 pounds less than my Gitzo/Cube. Five-pounds might not seem like a lot however that's almost a full gallon of water which means a heck of a lot.

I'll shortly be hiking in Glacier National Park and will be using the new Feisol/D4 system along with my WRS and I'm looking forward to it.

I've read posts from folks that say the D4 is as good as the Cube and so far with just minor experimentation I agree. The one thing I've seen is that the controls seem to be backwards in that the axis controls are the reverse of the Cube. So far I don't see the D4 as a replacement to the Cube - I do see it as a kickass hiking tool.

Don

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Thank you for the report, Don. I've been considering that combo myself for the GX680. The price is rather scary though, at around the same level as a perfectly good DSLR :(

Amin

Darn, I was hoping for a tip on how to lose 5 lbs.

I guess hiking might help, so I found a tip buried in there after all :).

Don Libby

Thank you for the report, Don. I've been considering that combo myself for the GX680. The price is rather scary though, at around the same level as a perfectly good DSLR :(
Jorgen, I learned a long time ago the "accessories" can often cost twice the original cost. I remember buying a $700 rife once only to invest another $1,000 for a stock then close to another $1,000 for the scope and several hundred to put everything in a sturdy case.

Reminds me of photography. I still shudder at times when I think that between the Gitzo and Cube I've got close to $3,000 invested; then I just remember what sits on top and that costs a heck of a lot more.

Think of a good tripod/head as being the cheapest form of insurance available.

Don

Don Libby

Darn, I was hoping for a tip on how to lose 5 lbs.

I guess hiking might help, so I found a tip buried in there after all :).
Amin, there's those who when hiking take the cardboard roll out of the toilet paper in an effort to reduce over all weight. And no I'm not one of 'em.

I live in the American Southwest where water is king. The saying hydrate or die should be taken very seriously. I find myself walking/hiking several miles to reach an old cliff dwelling or canyon overlook wishing I could just drive there. Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon so with this I can have the option of carrying the same amount as I normally would and be lighter or carrying more water. It seems the older I get (reaching towards 65 next year) the more water I require.

Don

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Think of a good tripod/head as being the cheapest form of insurance available.

Don
That's exactly what I'm thinking, and not only for the gear, but for the images that I've been struggling to take, which are not covered by any insurance, and a broken camera in 20cm of water simply looks silly.

Don Libby

That's exactly what I'm thinking, and not only for the gear, but for the images that I've been struggling to take, which are not covered by any insurance, and a broken camera in 20cm of water simply looks silly.
I remember walking away from the surf still on the sandy beach and watching my WRS fall off the tripod as the head gave away. Luckily no damage other then a major cleaning of my shorts afterwards.

Don