The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Moved: transfer files from older MacPro to MBP Retina

2jbourret

Im looking at buying a MacBook Pro to replace an older (2008) MacPro. The MBP will have an SSD and a Thunderbolt RAID, such as a Pegasus R6. Since my Tower has far more internal storage than the MBP will have, I have a few questions:

1)what is the best process for moving files to the new external RAID from my internal and external FireWire drives?
2) what is the best setup to work from files that will be stored on the RAID. 3)Which RAID configuration is best?
4)What is a good backup configuration.

I use C1 to process Raw files from an IQ180, and LR 4 to manage, finalise, and print the processed TIFFs. I have ~3TB of image files that I will want to have continued working access to.

Thanks

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jamie,

1) I see a couple of options. First is simply copy all of your files from your Firewire array to your new Pegasus or whatever -- you'll need a TB to FW adapter to do this and it will take 8 or 12 hours or so. Other option is your 2008 MacPro is gig-LAN, so you could copy over LAN -- might take longer but would still work.

2) My RAID and Back-Up strategy is as follows: Working image storage -- on RAID-0 array for speedy Read & Writes. If this were for a MacBook Pro, then it would likely be the Pegasus TB array for me. Local back-up -- Next the primary working image array is backed up locally to a mass-storage-unit of whatever (inexpensive) configuration, doesn't really matter but doesn't need redundancy or speed of RAID so JBOD is fine since it's simply data storage; it's just there in case the main storage unit breaks down. Off-site back-up -- Then I have a second off-site mass storage array to cover direct physical loss to both main and back-up at my primary location. Some folks run this to a cloud service or connect a data server at an alternate location to the net, or simply regularly back-up the offsite device directly.

Hope this helps!

2jbourret

Jack, just so I'm clear:

The FW drives are connected to the new mac with FW800 cable and a FW/TB adapter, and the TB RAID array is connected to the second TB port, and files are through-put to the RAID?

Thanks!