The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

It's cold out there...let's talk gloves...

Stuart Richardson

Does anyone have any gloves they like to use for shooting? I am thinking of asking for some for Christmas, but I am not sure what to ask for. Currently, I just use some fairly thin leather gloves from Brooks Brothers -- they are not exactly made for the job, but they are thin and flexible enough to operate most cameras fairly easily.

In the past I have tried the fingerless gloves that turn into mittens, but they are awkward, and it is also freezing, since you usually need them in the fingerless position in order to do anything.

The problem here in Iceland is that, while it is not particularly cold, it is generally very windy -- so it may not get under 25 degrees (-4C) very often, but it will be blowing 20mph on a normal day (10 m/s). This freezes fingers much quicker than just cold weather alone.

So has anyone found any gloves that are 1. Flexible, easy to change small dials, buttons and so on, but 2. Warm and windproof (ideally water resistant too...many days are just over freezing and raining).
I tried the ones Lowepro makes, but they are not warm enough and the weird rubber dots on them leave residue on the equipment.

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Here's an idea that I've been toying with but haven't tried yet. It's a combination deal. I own and use several pairs of windproof, fingerless fleece gloves for fly fishing (Orvis sells some--mine are Windriver I think) so it occurred to me that an inner glove might help reduce the fingertip numbness I get (I had frostbite on both hands as a kid and my fingertips seem to get cold easily).

For that inner glove I've been considering Nitrile Exam gloves. They're the ones sold primarily to health care providers and are way better than vinyl. You can buy them in several thicknesses and the ones I have now for use while painting/staining are pretty rugged. Definitely waterproof. So it might look funny, but it's worth a shot. There are lots of glove liners available, but they tend to be cotton or silk and will get wet. The nice thing about the Nitrile is that it's smooth but grippy. And of course, you're ready for anything. :rolleyes:

Dale Allyn

I wear liner gloves under fingerless gloves if it's cold enough to warrant. I have polypropylene liners as well as silk. I much prefer the various polypropylene though. I've done this for years in temps down to -20 or so Fahrenheit. I shot in -10 Celsius (13 F) a week or so ago and my hands were miserable for the first thirty minutes because I couldn't find my preferred gloves before heading out.

My system is funny though: once I get my core perking along on it's own, after adjusting to outdoor temps, I almost always remove my gloves or at least strip down to the liners. I wear a fairly robust goose down vest under any outer garment and after about 30 minutes my hands come around. Prior to that "over-cooking of my core" my hands can be so numb they barely function. I use other types of vests if it's not as cold to save a bit of bulk.

Also, a warm hat will do more for keeping your hands a feet warm than many might imagine. I don't really like wearing hats, especially warm hats, but it really makes a difference in the comfort of my hands.

I usually carry two pair of liners since they're compact and often leave my fingerless gloves behind (except for over-night outings) as I find them too much if my core is appropriately warm. My polypropylene remain warm when wet, but it's a pleasure to change in to dry ones part way through the day if it's very cold.

I think that Tim's reference to fly fishing is excellent. When I was young I did a lot of climbing (including ice climbing), back-country skiing, worked in a mountaineering shop and outfitted expeditions and light weight gloves with good dexterity were always sought after. These various liners have always been my preferred solution.

Here's a pretty good selection of liner-type gloves: At REI and some of the brands will be available at many other shops.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have two sets, both combo affairs. The first is a thin synthetic liner with a polar fleece mitten outer where the hand and thumb section of the mitten are flaps so can be peeled back when dexterity is needed then flopped back for warmth. This configuration works well down to mid teens degrees F, or -10 or so C. The second is a pair of neoprene gloves designed for cold weather fishing and I use these instead of the mittens when it's really cold or extra wet. They have a grippy surface and I wear the liners under them too.

Stuart Richardson

Thanks guys, all these are really useful suggestions. I think I am going to look at some sort of combination of liners and outer gloves -- I really do not like fingerless with bare fingers -- the wind is just too strong here, even if it is a minor adjustment, one gust and your fingertips are cold. The fly fishing style look like they are probably a good bet. I could also use them fly-fishing, so double use! It's nice to see smartwool makes gloves though...I wear their socks exclusively...I really do not have any socks that are not made by them...they have socks to fit all occasions...

Lisa

I also use a combination, with a thin silk inner liner and thick, warm outer gloves. I take the outer gloves off when I'm fiddling with the camera, but the liner gloves are enough to keep me tolerably warm for a few minutes and work fine for camera-fiddling. I got both pairs of gloves from a sporting goods store, and tried them on together to make sure they fit well together.

Lisa

O

Oxide Blu

Personally, I am more into sunscreen than I am into gloves. If they don't serve cocktails with fruit on the rim and a little umbrella stuck in it, I ain't going! :D

Homey

Jack has the right idea here.

I like the full 100% neoprene gloves. They take a little while to get used to but you can still function well in them. You have enough dexterity, once you get used to them, to change camera settings and the best part of neoprene is they are 100% waterproof. That keeps your hands dry and warm.
If its a really cold and windy day I put on my Burton ski/snowboard gloves over them.

I have not tried the fleece lined neoprene gloves yet but I am going to order a set today. Once I get them I will let you know how they preform.

The only problem with neoprene is that I end up using them for fishing too and once you get 1 hook in them they are not waterproof anymore.

Here is a link to a great selection of gloves and they are reasonably priced.

http://www.glacieroutdoor.com/products_fishing.php

Good luck and happy shooting.

The gloves I am ordering are the 002HBL in the water sports section and the 824BK in the fishing section.

Steven

Last edited: