The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

data back-up

jlm

Workshop Member
my drobo is getting long in the tooth and i am looking for the latest advice, two things:

on-site raid array, 1TB's is plenty
off-site data storage providers maybe 1 Tb max

tnx

Last edited:

stephengilbert

I was going to recommend the G-Tech G-Safe raid, but I see they've discontinued it. They have other raid solutions, but they sound like overkill for what you want.

Leigh

I'm running a Western Digital dual 2TB drive operating RAID 0 (fully mirrored). Works fine.

- Leigh

kdphotography

I like to keep things simple.

I would look at solutions offered by Wiebetech; I like their two bay, hot swappable, trayless Raid options. I ended up picking up a Sans Digital Mobile Raid MR2UT+(B), which has both eSata and USB3 interfaces. I call this my "bottomless pit" as when the drives fill up, I simple pull them, store them in cases, and insert new hard drives.

ken

Shashin

I use a Lacie 4 Big Quadra with three drives, one drive being kept off site, the other two being in a RAID array. I bring the off-site drive back once a month to swap and be rebuilt. I have a 3TB unit for me and a 1TB unit for my wife.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
After months struggling with a Synology NAS (the NAS worked fine, but time machine backups to it kept getting corrupted and the system wanted to rebuild them, I lost confidence in the process. And Ethernet is slow.), I now keep one of two 3TB backup disk inside the Mac Pro and rotate them out. With the drive mounted on a slide tray, it takes very little time to swap internal drives. Oh, yes, I have only 900GB of stuff to back up. Proof that I don't take enough pictures :facesmack:

If the Mac Pro ever comes out with Thunderbolt, I'll get a fast external RAID, but keeping a bunch of laptops and the Mac Pro backed up is currently a pain.

PeterA

I use a PegasusR6 system - 6 X 2 TB in Raid 5. simple relatively cheap and with thunderbolt expandable. Lighting fast - I use the system as a working drive even though I have a 750GB SSD card in my powerbook. I back this up to another Pegasus . These boxes are cheap and perfect for a plug and play guy who isn't a puter nerd.