The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

2Gb SD cards

Tim

Hi,

I am doing a bit of "retro" digital photography and the camera in question can only handle SD cards, not SDHC. The manual states the max card size is 1Gb but users have extensively reported that 2Gb cards work provided they are SD not SDHC.

Question is: where can you get (prefer new) 2Gb SD card, maybe class 4 or better. Were there ever 2Gb class 6 SD cards at all?
BTW: the camera does write RAW

I see B&H have some Sony class 4 2Gb cards - problem is they want US$30 to ship to Australia.

Thanks in advance, Cheers

Tim

After some searching I've found a reliable and likely genuine supplier of Panasonic Class 4 (read 20MB/s) 2Gb SD cards. And at a very reasonable price. Seems there are still some. I recall the Leica M8 was a SD only device? How are M8 users getting on!

It still remains a mystery if there was ever class 6 or faster than 20MB/s SD cards ? :poke:

Leigh

Have you actually tried SDHC cards? They're supposed to be backward compatible with SD.

It's not unusual to find instruction manuals requiring certain card types simply because later types did not exist
at the time the manual was written, not due to any fundamental incompatibility.

- Leigh

Tim

Have you actually tried SDHC cards? They're supposed to be backward compatible with SD.

It's not unusual to find instruction manuals requiring certain card types simply because later types did not exist
at the time the manual was written, not due to any fundamental incompatibility.

- Leigh
Hi, thanks for the reply

I do agree this can happen with SD/SDHC but in the case of the camera in question (which I will confess up is a GR Digital 1) then SDHC don't work. There are even apparently some 4Gb SD cards but they only show as 2Gb.

Leigh

It's not uncommon for some electronic devices to be sold at less than their full capacity.

For example, you can compare an SD card with an open book, having two pages visible.
If one page of the card doesn't work, you can still sell it at half size if the other half works.

- Leigh

Shashin

Not all SD card readers will read SDHC. I had this problem with a Sony card reader. But a firmware update can make an SD reader read SDHC.

D&A

I had once used a HD video camera that was made before the marketing of SDHC cards and it balked when trying to use them. I also had an aqauntence who had an older digital camera that also would write read to the SDHC cards he tried. It's probably on a camera to camera basis if it will work and also possibly which brands of SDHC cards you try. I've found that although there's supposed to be a "standard", different cameras respond to some of them differently. I too encountered the same issue as Shashin described.

Dave (D&A)