The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Taking The Color Management Plunge

O

Oxide Blu

I avoided it as long as I could. :D But now I need to get serious about color management. Can you folks knowledgeable on the subject suggest/recommend a book or two you consider necessary to understanding color management from camera to computer to printer.

Thanks!

ETA: If this query belongs in the Image Processing forum, please move it. If it isn't here, I'll look for it there. Thanks.

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

Oxide Blu,

You might enjoy this book: Real World Color Management, by Bruce Fraser

There are lots of on-line resources as well. Using a color managed workflow will be a tremendous time and materials savings in the long run, as well make the process much more enjoyable IMO.

Andrew Rodney has done a lot in color management as well. His book is here, and a worthwhile read.

Edit to add: Michael Reichmann of The Luminance Landscape offers a video (download), with Jeff Schewe, titled "From Camera to Print". Depending on how you like to absorb information, you may like that as well. Still, I would at least recommend the first book I linked above.

Last edited:
O

Oxide Blu

Hey you guys, thank you so much for your suggestions. Sorry I didn't get back sooner. I had just came back over the Pacific, got hit with jet lag and a sever cold from hell at the same time. Knocked me off of my feet for a little while. :eek: :(

I knew about the Fraiser book but was concerned it would be dated. Reviews on Amazon say so, too. I think in its day it would have been ideal, but now?!? Unfortunately, it's not like it will/can be updated.

I took a look at the Rodney book but from what I am reading about him most of the stuff in his book is available online, free. I guess I don't need to get the book, I need to be doing some web surfing and reading. Will be reading Bruces's website, too.

I popped back into Calif to pick up a couple of toys. 'Brains' gave me the green light on whatever I need so Santa has a 4880 printer (currently the price of a 3880 after Epson $400 rebate) and Eizo CG241W on his wish list. Hence 'the plunge'. We'll see how well this goes over with 'Brains' when she sees the bottom line. :D

Thanks again for your suggestions...real world answers to a query. I love this forum! :thumbup: