The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sunwayfoto Long Lens Support

tsjanik

I recently acquired a Pentax 600mm lens for my 645D. It quickly became apparent that more stabilization than the Acra-Swiss Z1 could supply was needed. I found a long lens support on Amazon made by Sunwayfoto. I took a chance and ordered that along with a rail and two clamps, allowing me to quickly adjust for other lenses. The items are extremely well made and appear to do a great job of stabilization. Note solid attachment at the lens foot and body along with support of the lens. Highly recommended.

_IGP1179 by tsjanik47, on Flickr

D&A

Tom, great shot of the set-up! As you know I'm in the same boat with regards to having the same lens and body and have found loss of sharpness with the slightest bit of movement or vibration. Surprisingly, mirror slap actually hasn't really contribute to much deterioration of apparent image sharpness when bottom of body is well supported as well as lens...simultaneously. I think your set-up is more stable and vibration free than mine, but I'm able to track moving subjects quite easily. It's a tradeoff and of course dependent on what one is shooting.

Two questions. The support on the front of your lens as shown..is the barrel nestled between two pieces of rubber while resetting on some surface? Hard to tell from the pic.

Lastly may I ask how much the set-up was minus the ball head? Thanks!

Dave (D&A)

tsjanik

I can track perfectly with this since the only attachment is the ball head. I just tried adding a Manfrotto long lens support which attaches to the tripod leg and the side of the 645D - absolutely rigid. Cost of what you see about $270. The support in front is likely unnecessary; it is two pieces of rubber similar to the RRS. I'll do some tests later, but this seems to be a great system. The Manfrotto adds about another $75 and still allows limited adjustment, but with three more knobs to tighten. Pricey, but what's the point of using this lens if the shots aren't sharp? The lens itself is very sharp - if it doesn't move

Last edited:

D&A

Tom, thanks for all the great info. I only have intermittent power and no Internet service due to heavy wet snowstorm we've had here. Only my cell phone and what limited charge I have with it. I've used the Manfrotto long lens support for many years but found for tracking and swiveling, it was a hindrance but for stationary subjects, provided rigid support as you pointed out.

I just sent you a PM here with some questions and a request for info. Thanks!

Dave (D&A)