The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Baking my nvidea 8800GT in the oven

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
That's right, in the oven. 400 degrees F for 10 minutes completely brought the previously dead card back to life. I've ordered a newer card to replace it and help me get by until the new Mac Pros come out, but this was a trick I would not have believed but had little to lose.

I'm giving myself 4 geek stars!

T.

thrice

I used to do some insane things with my computer hardware.
After phase change (refrigerative, -50C) cooling my CPU I had some condensation issues which killed the motherboard.
I scrubbed the motherboard with a toothbrush and naptha and then under a running tap to clean off the dielectric grease (electrical insulator meant to protect AGAINST condensation). After that I dried it in the oven and voila, it worked again.

I also bridged pins on the base of a cpu to give it an overclock on a motherboard that doesn't support overclocking.

This is my current dual radiator machine

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
thrice: OK, I am suitably humbled by your uber geek. And that computing device is a work of art!

huddy

Very nice save, and very nice setup Thrice. I finally gave up my dual radiator setup when I got hitched... I didn't want to have to worry about leaks as more things in life came along.